bps

Polar Safari

What I'm about to post did not have anything to do with the Baffin expedition that DexterBase is thinking about organizing, so I wanted to start a new thread.

In the other thread, someone posted a link to an expedition that "Polar Safari" is planning for this May. When I went to that website, I found something interesting. They are going to use "balloon jumps" to access the top of the cliffs that are not accessible by hiking. Considering that balloons go where the wind happens to take you, and the intricacies of landing on top of an icy cliff, this ought to be interesting!

:P

Bryan

Just to clarify, although you probably understood this; they are talking about balloon jumps to the top of cliffs, i.e. you jump your baserig out of the balloon. I suspect they mean you can then skim past the wall while tracking.

I suppose the brave can land their canopy on top and then do a TARD or rollover from a 4000 foot wall... B|

I suppose the brave can land their canopy on top and then do a TARD or rollover from a 4000 foot wall... B|

I know several folks who have jumped from aircraft and landed on top of objects, and then re-packed and jumped from the object. It's almost a classic.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I know several folks who have jumped from aircraft and landed on top of objects, and then re-packed and jumped from the object. It's almost a classic.

I'm aware many people have done that, but how many have done it Baffin conditions? It would be quite a feat imho.

if you have enough takers they may be able to sort a chopper for a portion of the trip...shane will probably have more idea on costs than anyone...we looked at a chopper for our trip there and in no way could four guys afford it...would be a lot easier than what they are suggesting with the balloon...there are very few places to pack at the top of the cliffs that i went up and when you get up there you wont want to be spending *insert packjob time here* at the top because you will start to freeze...literally.
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

What about taking along a surgeon? Or am I stating the obvious and is this already taken care of?

If you take a long an ambulance/emergency surgeon and equipment, you wouldn't have to worry all thát much about being 20 hours away from medical help. It can't be that hard to get one if you try real hard on an international level. If you can't get a surgeon you could always try an emergency doctor etc.

Just a thought.