cesslon

Base jumper rescue underway (Australia)

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17829882-2,00.html

A RESCUE was being staged for a base jumper whose parachute became snagged today during a cliff-top jump at Christmas Creek, near Beaudesert, in Queensland's southeast.
An RACQ Careflight helicopter spokeswoman said the man's chute became caught about 60 metres from the top of the cliff.

She said he was believed to be conscious but rescue workers were unsure about whether he was injured.

"We can't winch a crewman to him because we're fearful that the rotor wash from the helicopter will dislodge the chute," the spokeswoman said.

"That may be the only thing that's keeping him on the side of the cliff."

The spokeswoman said Careflight was preparing to fly a rescue team to the top of the cliff so they could abseil down to the man, who was with two other base jumpers when the incident happened.

A BASE jumper whose parachute snagged during a clifftop jump today at Christmas Creek, in Queensland's southeast, has been rescued.

The man, who had been jumping with two friends from the cliff near Beaudesert, was uninjured but had to be rescued from a ledge, an RACQ CareFlight helicopter spokeswoman said. The helicopter flew State Emergency Service (SES) personnel to the top of the cliff to rescue the man, who was stuck about 60m below.

---
Source: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17830115-2,00.html

A BASE jumper was rescued unhurt after a botched clifftop leap at Christmas Creek, in Queensland's southeast.

Matthew Norton, 21, of the Gold Coast, dangled for seven hours more than 100m above the ground after his parachute became entangled on a ledge at 6.50am yesterday.

A local resident reported that Mr Norton had jumped from the top of a mountain in the Lamington National Park.

He was spotted descending to a ledge about 50m from the top of the mountain but was unable to move up or down from that position, police said.

A rescue helicopter was sent, but was unable to reach Mr Norton because of high winds.

An SES vertical rescue team then made its way down the cliff. Mr Norton was harnessed and lifted to safety at about 2pm.

BASE jumping -- the acronym for building, antenna, span, earth -- is jumping from fixed objects with a parachute.

-----

Source: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17833723%255E2702,00.html

I hope he is uninjured and not to banged up. I also hope the Fines are not to stiff on him either.
That's a hell of a way to treat my old, MOJO-280.
Mat, must be teaching that MOJO bad habits. Cause it never did any of that 180-deg. Off Heading stuff for Me....:o

Most excellent news. just got a quick e-mail from the land of OZ.
quote:
"He is just fine. It took 6 hours to get him down.
And contrary to public opinion BASE jumping is NOT illegal in QLD. They are a bees dick away from granting us licenses to jump there.
There will be no fines".

yeah iam totally fine not even a scratch which is quite amazing. was just a shit happens 180. it did treat me well ray never had anything over 45 degree offheading on it till then ray =).

the mojo is now retired. =)
will go back next weekend and rescue the canopy but the UV rays would have screwed it by then.

gonna have to buy a new canopy for my container though now.

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

Man, I am glad to here you are OK.
Bad News for the MOJO...:(. Now you have a good excuse to go out and seek some Employment....:D To purchase that new Canopy.

it made news in my home town... (check google, zip code 55343, I'm more than a "little ways" from you're location)...

my g.f. looks @ me with the "look" and says, "Who was it?".

glad you're o.k.

-smd7

i already have employment i work 50 hours a week!

now i have 2 empty containers and only 1 full setup lol.

who wants to trade a container for a canopy =)

And contrary to public opinion BASE jumping is NOT illegal in QLD.

True in this context, but not as a blanket statement...

SUMMARY OFFENCES ACT 2005 - SECT 14 (QLD)
14 Unregulated high-risk activities
(1) A person must not unlawfully do any of the following--
(a) parachute or hang-glide onto a building or structure;
(b) BASE-jump or hang-glide from a building or structure;
(c) climb up or down the outside of a building or a structure;
(d) abseil from a building or structure.
Maximum penalty--20 penalty units or 1 year's imprisonment.

nothing to see here

they actually have a charge they put on base jumpers but thats usally off buildings and stuff.. in queensland national parks it is not illegal yet. they are talking about writing it into the laws or something. but at the moment it is still a grey area and allowed

Just on the wire:

Qld: Base jumpers to require permits in Qld parks
Basejumper (BRISBANE)

The Queensland government's planning to introduce permits for those wanting to base jump in the state's national parks.

Base jumping's legal in national parks .. but Queensland's Parks and Wildlife Service is moving towards requiring permits for the sport.

The move comes after a base jumper had to be rescued yesterday after a botched cliff-top leap at Christmas Creek .. in the state's south-east.

The 21-year-old Gold Coast man was dangling for seven hours more than 50 metres above the ground .. after his parachute became tangled on a ledge at 6.50 am (AEST).
AAP RTV rm/sc/rj/jas

nothing to see here

hi, saw the news on tv here in germany yesterday evening.
nice hanging there ;-)
(ok, what can someone do, instead of just hanging around in a situation like that...)
just kiddin´...

and also nice statement to the camera afterwards.
good to see that you managed all that well.
keep on jumping.
greetz from europe
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

Hi Matt

well spoken, I caught the end of it on this morning where you were thanking the rescue services.

do you have any video of the incident ?

And contrary to public opinion BASE jumping is NOT illegal in QLD. They are a bees dick away from granting us licenses to jump there.

From a related story

Base-jumpers to require permits in Qld
Tuesday Jan 17 07:08 AEDT
Extreme sport enthusiasts will need permits to base-jump in Queensland's national parks given the activity's high level of risk, the state government says.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said base-jumping was legal in national parks but Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) was moving towards requiring permits for the sport.

"Given the activity's inherent high level of risk, opportunities for obtaining permits are likely to be very restricted if it is allowed at all," a spokeswoman said.

"Base-jumping raises concerns about the safety of park visitors, and also for volunteers and members of staff who have to undertake risky search and rescue operations, and the trauma that results when those rescuers see the results of base-jumping gone wrong."

A base-jumper was rescued unhurt after a botched cliff top leap at Christmas Creek, in Queensland's south-east on Sunday.

The 21-year-old Gold Coast man dangled for seven hours more than 50 metres above the ground after his parachute became entangled on a ledge at 6.50am (AEST).

The EPA spokeswoman said base-jumping was "generally inconsistent with the reasons parks are put aside".

"QPWS also has concerns that base-jumping may encourage unqualified people to undertake potentially risky activities," she said.

The spokeswoman said certain parks also had restricted access areas and trespassers caught by rangers could be issued a $300 on-the-spot fine.

Rangers could also direct people to leave the park if they were doing something that endangered their own or visitors' safety, she said.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Here it is with a few nouns changed...

Motorcycle enthusiasts will need permits to ride on the nations roads given the activity's high level of risk, the government says.

The Federal Transportation Bureau said motorcycle riding was legal on the nation's roads but the National Highway Safety Administration (NHSA) was moving towards requiring special permits for the activity.

"Given the activity's inherent high level of risk, opportunities for obtaining permits are likely to be very restricted if it is allowed at all," a spokeswoman said.

"Motorcycle riding raises concerns about the safety of other motorists, and also for volunteers and members of staff who have to undertake road-side rescue operations, and the trauma that results when those rescuers see the results of motorcycling gone wrong."
The NHSA spokeswoman said motorcycle riding was "generally inconsistent with the reasons roads are built and their dimensions".

"NHSA also has concerns that motorcycle riding may encourage unqualified people to undertake potentially risky activities," she said.

The spokeswoman said certain roads also had restricted access areas and trespassers caught by officers could be issued a $300 on-the-spot fine.

Officers could also direct people to get off the roads if they were doing something that endangered their own or motorist's safety, she said.

Yeah i had my camera helmet on for the jump in question. got the jump, opening, impact. and a few of my own update reports while on the wall.. first sight of the helecopter, the helecopter doing about 10 laps around me, landing, flying around more, landing, flying, landing, flying, landing, then flying away for good. then the abseilers coming down and getting me all on footage.

Heya!
can you upload it please ?
I'd like it to add to my collection.

or if its to big can I get a copy in the mail lol
I'll pay costs involved providing it has other base footage to lol

Hey....

For an interesting read and some photos check out:

http://www.qurank.com/

qurank - Queensland Climbing Online
> Trip Reports and Pictures
> Three rescues in one week.

Cheers
J

Jesus that's terrifying!
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.