JaapSuter

Angles and Feasibility...

Hello,

Please take a look at the attached image. How high would the rockdrop in the red-circle have to be in order to outfly the bottom slab?

I know the picture is kinda fuzzy and low-detail, but it's all I got to go on. I'm not looking for exact answers anyway, just trying to start a discussion on altitudes, glide-angles and feasibility of cliffs. It turns out that we have a lot of slabby stuff around here, but every now and then we find something with a vertical table on top of it.

I guess I just have to become a good wingsuiter or tracker then... :)

Climb it with GPS to accurately measure the profile, overlay the profile of your track from a 'good' big wall and see if the two curves intersect. ;)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Only one way to know:

Jump it!

Just open within the red circle. If you still doubt, jump again, until you're sure it'll pass or not.

This is been done on several objects, the most I heard was up to 40 jumps prior to pass the underhanging parts. The least I did was 1 jump to know that it doesn't pass, it was obvious after the jump...

I did some couch surveying.

I started cropping the picture and based on the number of pixels(I know it is not a linear thing but just as to estimate). The tree at the bottom of the slab is 25 pixels high and the cliff is 213 pixels high. The exit point is 8.52 times the height of the tree. But it looks like the overhanging bit is about 2.7 times as tall as the tree is.

It is all about how tall the tree is.

Kris.

With out any math and by taking just a quick look, the only way to outfly the bottom slab is.. Under canopy!

Ferry

lol, when I first read the subject line, I thought it said "Angels and Feasibility" and thought to myself, "dude, if you're asking about angels when thinking about the feasibility of an object, it's probably NOT feasible!":D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

My mark1 eyeball says it looks dodgy.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent