Bigwallmaster

Explaining BASE to your family

.... we are selfish in our pursuit of life satisfaction, and they are selfish in their desire for our longevity.

Thanks Ryan. Pretty much hits the nail on the head on my family's approach. Borhters and Sisters are OK... understand, the old have fun, don't die. But the rents, man oh man.....

yeah thats a true statement ...
hide vs tell them ... use a mixture ...
if there out of town, your headed out and they wont know, then dont tell.
if they see you headed out at an odd hour in dark pants and shirt ... well they know anyways ... then tell them and then call as soon as your feet hit. well as soon as the wheels start rollin.
blaine

I totally threw it in my parents/relatives face last Christmas. I was tired of "hiding" it. Blatenly packed my rig in my parents backyard with my mom and nephew. Told her I was going after dinner to a 900' A. She only requested that I dont die on her birthday (which it was) and have fun. I agreed to both.

BTW, my parents are way cooler now than when I was in high school. thats totally OK tho.

I just went out to breakfast with my parents this morning, and the age-old issue popped up again. I've always been honest with them, showed them videos and told them I was going to do it long before I actually started. They are accepting of what I do, but they are also very worried. My brother and sister pretty much say "have fun, don't die". Most of the rest of my family (aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, etc) seems think I am off the deep end, an adrenaline junkie, and an all-around jackass. No matter how much I try to drill it into them that I am not some kind of suicidal yahoo with a death wish, they just dont seem to get it. And they play the guilt trip on me every chance they get.

As much as you may want to share your passion and experiences and stories with them, it's probably best just to never bring it up or tell them any of the details. Besides, we all know that no words or video can describe how we feel when our feet leave the edge.
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

J.P.

-
Real BASE Jumpers don't give a fuck what family thinks of them jumping. ...
Quitting will likely be (Your alone) decision made. For putting the ones most closest to you in life through all the worry and fear every time you BASE jump.
I being void of all feelings. believe they call this. GUILT !
If you plan on being a real BASE jumper. I suggest you drop your Feelings OFF. In the nearest Trash Can.

THis is kind of a macho reply...

I think life is a struggle between feelings and desires... I BASE as an affirmation of that... FEAR is what people have who do not understand the natural cycle of life... you have no control.. and the feelings are natural... you have to accept them, otherwise you are in this for your own reasons and it will kill you cause you lost respect.

Respect Death, respect yourself, respect others, respect the object and all will be well!

I would not say 'a lot of people die BASE jumping' if you look at the list 105 in the last 25 years...?

:)>:(:)>:(:)

live life
you want me to do what???