groundpounder

Neptune Alti or the Galaxy III

For what it's worth, I read that they are offering free upgrades through internet downloads as they come up with new versions. You can also send it in and have them upgrade it free. So, even if they're "working out kinks", seems as though they have a plan to ensure you get the upgrades. I'm also considering one, so I've been doing a little research.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

The kinks they were working out had to do with the logbook functions, not the altimeter functions. They are very accurate and have been operating well. After that it's personal preference. Many people like to see the numbers rather than a see a dial.

It's probably more accurate than your altimeter. Look at the tolerance differences on the test chamber sheet.

Galaxy would be a better selection in my opinion... even the slightest dyslexia could prove a bad move reading numbers.

Most humans are visually triggered easier by colors (the red and yellow areas on an altimeter) and don't react as fast to a number or text (is it 3.5 or 35 or...???... hey what's that BANG sound coming from my container...ooops)[:/]

Although the Digitude (essentially the predecessor of the Neptune in regards to digital face) has been around for years... ya have to ask yourelf why it doesn't sell as well as an analog faced altimeter like the Galaxy? In my opinion because it's confusing...

True, "digital" is far more accurate than "analog"... but what is your reaction time worth? What did you start relying on when you started jumping?

I won't even get into the fact that the Neptune is "still under development" and requires constant updates for various problems that should have been solved before releasing it to the public.... but that's another thread...

FWIW

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

won't even get into the fact that the Neptune is "still under development"

It's not in regards to it's functionality as an alti (nor has that been an issue for some time). Logbook functionality was added at a later stage and potential buyers were made aware that it was not included at that time. The changes, at this stage, are logbook related.

Galaxy would be a better selection in my opinion... even the slightest dyslexia could prove a bad move reading numbers.

I've heard that said before...I can't speak for others, but I find it much easier to glance at my neptune and read my alt than I ever did with my analog.

To the original poster, while I like the neptune, I'd try get to do a jump or 2 (there should be some around the dz) on both models and see which one blows your hair back the most.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I've heard that said before...I can't speak for others, but I find it much easier to glance at my neptune and read my alt than I ever did with my analog.

To the original poster, while I like the neptune, I'd try get to do a jump or 2 (there should be some around the dz) on both models and see which one blows your hair back the most.

I would agree with this statement... try it before you buy it. See which one fits you best...

GraficO
GraficO

won't even get into the fact that the Neptune is "still under development"

It's not in regards to it's functionality as an alti (nor has that been an issue for some time). Logbook functionality was added at a later stage and potential buyers were made aware that it was not included at that time. The changes, at this stage, are logbook related.

changes to the logbook functions still in repair or not... regardless of who was told that the logbook stuff wasn't going to be immediately available... in my opinion... I would have expected Alti2 to come up with something that wasn't so riddled with bugs and fixes. What firmware update are they up to now since release? 20? Microsoft Windows doesn't have that many fixes and patches... and they're notorious for patches...

In my opinion, as a unit... the Neptune is from the get-go "underdeveloped". Craftsmanship/materials are weak, battery consumption is going to be a permanent problem regardless of software fixes due to hardware and design issues, technology limitations and again... I would have expected better out of Alti2... I think they rushed it to market before they should have. It has potential... as is sits right now...

again FWIW... "opinions are like assholes... everyones got one and they all stink"

GraficO
GraficO

I have the Galaxy III and the Neptune. The Neptune software upgrades really easy. I have not seen any problems with mine. I think most of the complaints came from the old software. The numbers are larger and easier to read. I do have a question about battery life and failure on a jump. That hasn't happened. I keep the Galaxy III so I have a backup that doesn't use batteries, just in case. Maybe later I will learn to trust it more in that respect, but not yet!!!

As far as accuracy is concerned, I have compared the Neptune with my pro-track and they never vary by more than 100 feet in the logbook.

Ed

What are people's experiences with Neptunes used as a visual? Is it worth the extra dough over the tried and true Altimaster III's? I heard that they have some kinks to work out before they are accurate...:|

I personally (though I have ABSOLUTELY ZILCHO experience to back up this opinion) like the fact that I have a NON-BATTERY OPERATED device strapped to my wrist or chest or wherever. . .I never have to worry about battery failure on the device and it is plenty accurate for what I need it to do. . .I never have to worry about battery failure or anything like that. . .

IMHO. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

You are right. These electronic devices are fun toys and useful aids. They warn you in the instructions not to depend on them, battery operated or not.

It just so happens that they are in fact pretty amazing and reliable. Last year I saw jumpers dumping when my analog read 8000 feet. Whoa, something's wrong and out the pilot chute went. The dial was bumped in freefall. It is not just those with batteries that can fail.

Ed

Cypres has a battery too, just remember that.

In any case skydivers shouldn't be relying so heavily on these things (devices).

Blue skies
Ian

We had one freeze up at our DZ this weekend, froze under canopy at a little over 1000 ft. This one was being used as a visual alti for swooping and had the newest software (put on personally by alti2 too). It froze anyway. Battery indicator said full, but after resetting the unit it showed nearly empty, which is probably why it froze.
Had that happen to mine once, same prob, but with an older software version (18 something). And I was using it as a back-up audible so not much of a problem. But this was supposed to be fixed by now.... And these things seem to go through batteries very very fast... Not sure if it's just me, and it is only one battery, and probably the flight to Bangkok and back didn't help the batteries any, but my pro-track doesn't seem to have the same probs. And the pro-track batteries seem to last way more jumps!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Most humans are visually triggered easier by colors (the red and yellow areas on an altimeter) and don't react as fast to a number or text (is it 3.5 or 35 or...???... hey what's that BANG sound coming from my container...ooops)[:/]

It depends on the person. I suck at reading analog altimeters and it takes me longer to grok the information than when I look at my Neptune. Before I had the neptune, I used a digitude and was quite happy with it.

To each his (or her) own! B|
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth