pope

How many cameras were lost?

Alright--I just goota ask...
I've been editing the Bridge Day DVD for a few weeks now, and I seem to be seeing a lot of folks with cameras on their heads going for a swim. Not a little 'land by the shore and wade in' kind of swim, I mean full on water in the nose & doggie paddle kind of swim.

So fess up people--how many of your cameras were given their last rites after going in the drink at Bridge Day 2005?

Any other items ruined in the New River this year?

pope

[edit's looking good by the way...]

after a successful 3 way, I was about 20 feet short to land in the alternate landing are ( got wet right past the huge boulder - did NOT need boat rescue)

videocamera - after the whole thing was taken apart, cleaned, lubed and cleaned again - it's back to life
still camera - haven't done anything yet, but should be same procedure as the videocamera
cellphone - once it dried it worked fine, and is still kicking
radio - is an experienced swimmer having tasted the Snake river this year - it worked just fine (again) after drying for 2 days.

i hope the still camera wasnt digital
i cant imagine getting my cameras wet............

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

if you dunk your gear you can soak it in DISTILLED water and once it completely dies should work fine. I dunked my pc110 in a lake and cleaned it throughly with a distilled water bath (distilled water has no sediments in it) after about a two week period in hotter than normal room tep (Florida) it worked fine.
On a side note..You can clean your keyboard in the dishwasher...If your keys start getting gummy and stuff, cleans em right up.
Daniel
Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones
Tasers - Pepper Spray - Stun Guns and more!
www.dallassecuritysupply.com

Actually, the best thing to do is rinse it in some alcohol to evaporate out the water. I'm not sure on this part but you may want to dunk it in distilled water first to get out the crud then use the alcohol. Whatever you do, get the battery out a soon as you can.

now with this topic started - yeah, so the camera is alive - but the battery is dead. Not dead - dead. But it is no longer recognized as a Infolithium. I imagine that whatever the NVRAM/EPROM chip is on it for the camera to read the info off off it got corrupted.

any thoughts ?

It is virtually impossible for NVRAM chips to get corrupted because of wetness. The sequence to write or erase them is very complex and the possibility of writing or erasing them as a result of a random serial data sequence is infinitely lower than the possibility of an individual getting struck by lightning. Printed circuit boards are typically cleaned after assembly by a water bath.

If you can get the internal circuitry clean and dry somehow it will probably work just fine.
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny