JaapSuter

Snowboard Cut Aways

Hey,

if anybody here has any experience with snowboard cut away systems, please get in touch. I'm guessing such systems will be similar to what skysurfers use, but the bindings are slightly different so I'm not sure.

Alternatively, if somebody can get me in touch with the guy who did the snowboard BASE near Interlaken in the 1996 Mike Hatchet snowboard movie TB5 (Totally Board 5), that would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks,

Jaap

Most modern skysurf binder release systems would work for your cross-over to Snow.
Except I would make Sure that the ( Stirrup/Toe binder ) was also set-up Released on the Same Cable. For Safety
Skysurf. you are most defiantly @ high air speed when out of control cut away happens. So the board will come off easily/Fast
Low air speed will be more consistent with a canopy Mal. / low air speed on the release/cutaway for the board. (might be slow) without the High air speed of free-fall.
The skysurf binders should just be make larger for your Boots and MAYBE all should work fine............:o
.but also
I have screwed around with some Ski's for ski/skysurf and we were using VERY OLD Ancient binders off them. which did not resemble the ski binders of today. They released pretty good because the cable was easy to attach to the way they Manually released back then. NOT like the new step in type of today.
If you can Hunt Down the old ski binders from a garage sale or antique store try that way for release.
good luck.....;)

K2 used to make "The Clicker" binding system that was simply a flat step-in plate attached to the board. The boot incorporated a sole click-in system and a rigid backside that negated the use of any of those silly ratcheting systems that ALL the phat phuckers use today. I think that people actually like sitting on the top of the hill ratcheting themselves down to their boards. It's a social thing, I guess.

I digress. The Clicker released by way of a single lift-up lever on the side of each foot. The Clicker is certainly ripe for an impromptu rapid cutaway system.

Anyway, I think The Clicker went the route of Beta home video recorders sometime around 00 or 01. Lost out to the inferior lazy-ass, I-wanna-sit-here-next-to-the-lift-and-talk-snowboarding-rather-than-actually-snowboarding ratchet shit.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

The "Clicker" requires all your support to come from the boot rather than the binding. The boots ended up being clunky like ski boots, and not as cools and comfortable as the airwalks, etc., that you can get with the standard snowboard binding system. The standard system also allows the user to decide how much/little play he wants.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

I thought we were talking about a system that could be used for BASE (rapid release), while adequate to actually snowboard to the exit point. If you want to walk around comfortably at the ski lodge pickin up bunnies, you might want to look into another system.:P

Actually, my Clicker boots were Airwalks, and they were extremely comfortable when the built-in center ratchet was released. They were not rigid ski boots by any means. I think that's part of the hype that killed step-in bindings on snowboards.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I'm neither a snowboarder nor a skysurfer, but I spend 100+ days a year on skis and I've done basejumps with them. You should take care to not only focus on the ability to cut away your board, but also about the whole setup being rock-solid. The last thing you want is one foot coming out of your binding 10ft before the cliff.
You should also be very comfortable hucking cliffs on whatever kinda board you use so you know how to take off.

Anyway, I think The Clicker went the route of Beta home video recorders sometime around 00 or 01. Lost out to the inferior lazy-ass, I-wanna-sit-here-next-to-the-lift-and-talk-snowboarding-rather-than-actually-snowboarding ratchet shit.

Bullshit. Being a very knwledgeble rider, who rode amany step in systems in the early production stages I say BS. You are correct insaying the clicker COULD be adapted to suit you BASE needs. However most riders that I know prefer the insta step in vs. the direct control that snaps have. more adjustable for certain needs and last longer due to different construction techniques. the clicker and most other step ins will wallow in rentaldom for a long time. but, whatever.

Sorry, my intended sarcasm didn't translate as well as I had hoped. Guess I need to use more of these::P

mike

SOooooooo, did you guys ever decide on any good advice to give him other than DuckTape & a Hook Knife..........:D

Most clickers I've used are inferior in back country situations due to the powder. That could be trouble if trying to cut away from them and they stick, as they do have a tendancy to do both going in and coming out sometimes. I know they've come along way, but I still prefer the straps just for ease of entry and exit on a deep deep day... Does this pertain to base? dunno, something to ponder tho...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

maybe contact joe jennings at skydive az... there was some snowboad base at the end, and a jump or two where the snowboard was cutaway due to instability... dont know who the jumper was tho...

Thanks for the input everybody. I'll see what I can come up with.

If anybody has contact info for Dave Barlia, please ask him if he minds if I get in touch with him. If not, please PM me his info. Thanks.

The intec heel system lets you pull a cord on the top of your boot and release the binding. It is used in a carving setup and is a little pricey. visit www.bomberonline.com look at the trenchdigger2 stepin with intec heels.

Hey Jaap

the general style in ski base these days is to ski off of a cliff that is at least around 200 feet tall and either open yer chute imediately, or do a flip or two and then toss yer chute.

we have been waiting for a snowboarder(s) to come and play with us and have fun off of our local 350 footer, but no one ever shows up.

that is where CLIFHUCKSTABLE has been doing quad flips and kiss ass blasters (twisting triples)

seems to me that the snowboard would be just as fun and safe, but I do not know how to hit jumps on a board very consistently at all yet.

why not just go for it our style?

this will save the pain in the ass and the money to get a new binding set up, one that you will be lucky to ever retrieve after you go ski off of a huge cliff, and let yer whole set up fall to impact.

if you are worried about it, just put a big PC in yer hand and go fast and throw quick and with all that forward speed yer canopy is gonna open so fast that it will be hard for you to manage to get your feet and board tangled up in it.

skiers do it

mono boarders have done it

when are some of you snowboarders gonna give it a go?

....were waiting...

edit for site name ~TA