smurf

Mirage G4 risers and pilot chute

I'm having trouble pulling the slider down behind my neck. Getting the risergrommets past the toggles is almost impossible because it's so tight. Anyone else who has encountered this problem? I'm using vectran-lines.
I also have a pilotchute that is quite big(28 inches, f-111). Even when packed as neat as possible it barely fits in the BOC. I've measured the force required to pull it out and it was about 9kg(~20lbs), which I find rather heavy. Would it be a problem to use a smaller zero p pilot?

Skydive :)

>erlend

I have a new set of risers from Mirage. I found that because of how the extra break line is slowed on the back side ot he riser it makes it too bulky for the slider to pass over. If you only stow the extra brake line throw the bottom stow and not throw the top one it will allow the slider passed. The problem is that with the top stow it puts all the bulk of the ring and the extra line that passes around the riser to be at the same spot by only using the bottom stow on the rear of the riser (the one closest to the three rings) it move that bulk to a lower spot and the slider will pass over it.
Kirk

Mine was only stiff for the first 20 jumps or so.

You need to just take your time. New gear takes a few jumps to break in.

You seem to be on a VERY small canopy for your experience level. A couple of words of caution. While you are breaking in your gear, pull a little higher. Check your airspace and use caution stowing your slider. It will suck hard if you get half of your slider down and then pop the other toggle. You'll start spinning pretty good and your canopy will fly poorly with one toggle unstowed below the slider and the other above.

Be safe and take it easy on the gear will ya?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

It's a small canopy and I'm a small guy. The question is whether my wingload of 1.6 is too much, but I feel comfortable with it.
I'm very careful when pulling the slider past the toggles, believe me. A friend of mine nearly killed himself yesterday when one toggle got unstowed and the other got stuck in the slider(he also has a brand new G4).
Hopefully it will get easier when I get some more jumps on it :)

>erlend

I've got a new G4.

It's a little tight bringing the slider down, but the security provided by the excess brake line stow makes it worth it. I have about 30 dives on it now and it's no longer an issue.

Have you read the "Control systems malfunction" Info sheet on the PD website?

Stay with your pilot chute. ZP PC's generate higher snatch forces and can result in some very hard openings. Trust the people who built your gear. They did some serious thought about a lot of issues you have yet to think about.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

My father was a gunner on a B-17 when they bombed the German submarine pens in Trondheim. He made his first parachute jump a short time later on a mission to Regensburg. The other gunner snagged his D handle on the way out of the door. He had to exit at about 18,000' with an armful of silk in one hand and the pc in the other. Said it opened just fine. You should be Ok going to a smaller pc, check with the canopy manufacturer for some input from them. Is Malvik a common name in Trondheim?
alan

You should be Ok going to a smaller pc, check with the canopy manufacturer for some input from them

Dude. The Pilot chute is part of the harness/container assembly. The harness manufacturer uses what they use for a reason. It has NOTHING to do with the canopy manufacturer, as the canopy only functions when it's out of the bag - after the pilot chute's job is complete.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Dude. The Pilot chute is part of the harness/container assembly. The harness manufacturer uses what they use for a reason. It has NOTHING to do with the canopy manufacturer, as the canopy only functions when it's out of the bag - after the pilot chute's job is complete.

Yes, Dude and yet the canopy manufacturers also test thier canopies with various pcs and recommend specific types and sizes. I know of at least one canopy manufacturer that supplied the bag, bridle, and pc for their canopy. I guess the people at companies like PD must not know shit when they publish recommended pcs or they must just not realize it has NOTHING to do with the manufacturer, as the canopy only functions when it's out of the bag - after the pilot chute's job is complete.

There is nothing wrong with going to either manufacturer. If they give different advice, go with the one that works best for you.
alan