DexterBase

GoFast roll call

although im here and saturday was great conditions, i pussed out and only made one jump. the canyon initmidated me quite a bit. be excited about this place, but wait until you're solid.

And if it intimates you Abby, it will intimiate anyone. I showed up there last year as a spectator with a packed rig in my car wanting to jump it. But after looking at it, I said to myself, "I can wait one year". Well one year came and went and since I was training for something other than BASE all summer long, I still was short on the 100 jump requirements. So I guess I'll have to wait another year. But that's okay. I know this site is NOT an easy jump. I'm hoping the WX is jumpable when I pass through Twin on Thursday on my way up to Vancouver as I have two packed rigs ready to go. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

the canyon initmidated me quite a bit.

Dude, it's a canyon not a pussy ;)
Memento Audere Semper

I think the 100 jump rule is a good guideline, but don't expect to have the skills required to jump this site just because you have done 100 BASE jumps.

If you've done 100 jumps at the Perrine, you are NOT ready to jump at Royal Gorge. If your landing areas are always nice open fields, same thing.

The landing area is like half of the beach at the Perrine, with squirrely winds and bad news on all sides.;)

You need to be surgical with your canopy flight and if you're not absolutely confident in your accuracy skills, then seriously consider waiting until you are.

Be able to fly your entire flight in deep brakes, make a flat turn without swinging into a wall, stall the canopy vertically to burn altitude, and ease into full flight to flare and land.

You have a year to get ready! Do accuracy jumps and get really familiar with object avoidance drills. You are basically jumping two cliffs at the same time and you can hit either one of them! The deeper you go, the tighter things get.

If you're experienced and you have the skills, show up. The event is way rad and not to be missed.

I pass through Twin on Thursday on my way up to Vancouver as I have two packed rigs ready to go.

And so the BASE scene in Vancouver continues to grow...

Better jump those rigs in Twin. Rain-season has started here. Conditions are shit.

Btw, aren't you a pilot? Sweet, we'll have to rent a plane an go check out the legendary 4000 feet overhang somebody told me about. It's quite inaccesible, but I'd like to fly past it.

RG is an intimidating jump... walls coming up at you, uneven terrain, small-ish landing area, shifty winds but some damn good visuals!

If you're experienced and you have the skills, show up. The event is way rad and not to be missed.

I in no way am arguing with you here as all the points you made are correct.

I actually think I could have done it this year with a good weekend of BASE canopy practice ahead of time (which I actually did do at the recent Moab boogie jumping some cliffs) as I am very current flying with a canopy over my head making about 500 jumps this summer alone. But I was concentrating on a completely different form of canopy control (competitve swooping). So when I heard they were being much more strick on their 100 jump requirement this year, I didn't even bother calling them up trying to talk my way into the event. There is always next year if/when I get some more time under my BASE canopies. And besides, I was having the time of my life swooping the pond here in CO while you guys were having fun jumping the gorge. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over