evilivan

Top Tip, or "don't make the same noob packing error as me"

I'm opening myself up to a torrent of criticism here.... but posting the error I made will maybe stop another noob making the same mistake.

Object: 350', one set of wires 90 left of the exit point (that we chose). Very little wind.

Rig: Gargolye; Troll (vented etc) 265

On opening I had an approx 160 left, and the canopy did not open 'normally' and seemed to take longer then normal to pressurise. Turned it round on the riser and reached for the toggles, but as I let go of the riser the canopy started turning and I couldn't find the toggles. Due to the dark and I feeling like I was getting low, I opted to land on risers and made a hardish (PLF) but acceptable landing in the landing area. When I got home from work the next day, I pulled my kit of the stash bag and had a closer look....

The right break had fired and I discovered I had stowed the breaks incorrectly; instead of putting:
-the loop through the break setting
-then through the guide ring
-and then the toggle through the loop into the keeper
I had put:
-the loop through the guide ring
-then through the break setting
-and then the toggle through the loop into the keeper

This, however, wasn't the real noob mistake (I know of other jumpers who have done this in error); the real mistake was when I was putting the canopy in the tray I pulled the riser into the tray to far which meant that they were distorting the harness. I didn't notice this until I had the top pin closed, so teased the risers out to neatly fit the harness shoulders :S; I believe this disturbed the break setting as a result of the tension on the pack job and the incorrectly stowed breaks. Pulling some riser out on a closed pack job is something I have often done with my skydiving rig, and I guess this is why I gave it no thought..... Which brings home the old lesson:

BASE is not skydiving

Yeah, I know, I should have known better/thought about it more/not been such a 'skydiver'. Lesson learned.

Ivan
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Glad you didnt die. Thanks for sharing that, as it is something to think about.

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

-the loop through the guide ring
-then through the break setting

As far as I know, that's a guaranteed brake fire slider down/off. "LRT" means "Line, ring, toggle". The loop goes through the line, then the ring, and then the toggle goes throughthe loop. The three letters are in alphabetical order. When you're new, you might remember "RLT" or something. I've heard "RLT" from some people's mouths and have seen "RLT" get jumped twice (both brakes fired both times).

The riser adjustments of which you speak doubtfully made any difference in the brake fire. Glad it didn't kill you.

So your left brake was still stowed, and stowed incorrectly, after opening? I guess with a very small delay, that stow might be able to hold.

Making mistakes, is nothing of which to be ashamed. It's really, in this little world of ours, a badge of honor . . .

Thank you.

NickD :)BASE 194

The delay was short - approx 1''. I like "LRT", easy to remember but never heard it before (or forgot). Although all I really needed to do was to consult the manual......

I spoke to a friend tonight (300+ jumps, several years in the sport) who stowed his breaks in this way several times without break fires - although he did have to replace the lower part of the break lines sooner then normal because of wear on the finger trap; I guess the 'guarantee' of a break fire may be a little rig dependent. Either way, I won't be doing it again ;)
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

NickDG: as ever both the gentleman and the scholar. Thanks mate. A mistake survived is a lesson learned.....

Edited for spelling
David Brent

I had a friend that set his breaks on his skydiving rig incorrectly. It would be a similar type of set up. He didn't pull the break setting down past the guide ring. He basicly pulled it down to the top of the guide rig, put his toggle thru the setting then into the elastic keeper. When it came open it tore the elastic keepers apart. It looked as though it pulled the top of the toggle right thru it.

Was there any damage or ware to your elastic keepers from the break fireing?

Matt Davies

Was there any damage or ware to your elastic keepers from the break fireing?

Nope. Which is part of the reason I suspect that the movement of the risers may have disturbed the break setting, basically freeing the break in the pack job.
David Brent

OK, I will be the first to give you crap. Low winds are nasty on antennas if you have a clue. and you Spelled "brake" wrong. it is Not "break" lines, it is "brake" lines. if you call them break lines then what shall they do if they perform correctly. it is all about correct spelling, Not capitalizations and of course knowing when you be in a beyond your experience in stowing brakes or jumping a certain type of object without knowing which conditions will nail ya. BRAKE not break. have fun, glad you can pass this common failure on.
take care,
space

OK, I will be the first to give you crap. Low winds are nasty on antennas if you have a clue.

What conditions would you consider ideal for jumping an A of this height? Thanks in advance.

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

OK, I will be the first to give you crap. Low winds are nasty on antennas if you have a clue.

What conditions would you consider ideal for jumping an A of this height? Thanks in advance.

Fast (not too fast) and at your back (bisecting the 120° in front of you), of course. 350' is just fine for a short delay and a turn into the wind. I do it from 330' fairly often.

Thanks for the spelling check Space - can't believe I missed that one and even edited one of my posts for spelling.....

The object isn't actually an 'A', but I didn't want to post too much detail here as we are getting a little protective about our objects in the UK at the moment. In my opinion, this object is best jumped in very low winds; I undertand all the reasons for jumping with a tail wind on an 'A'.

Anyhoo; I don't think my mistake was the wind, but the packing - and of course the spelling.
David Brent

I spoke to a friend tonight (300+ jumps, several years in the sport) who stowed his breaks in this way several times without break fires - although he did have to replace the lower part of the break lines sooner then normal because of wear on the finger trap;

you know a guy who has 250+ jumps setting his brake like that,only once it has fired.. my leg rembers me about that one but it sure werent the equipment or the fire that caused that injury(rearriser stall to thouse who didnt knew).

So why do i set my brakes like that?
I think the RTL-way is more prone to hangups,and i rather have a poped toogle than a hang up toogle anyday..

I do agree that the way i do it tear alot on the lines,but tell ya what.. i just got an invoice from Apex,135ish$ for a new pair of brake lines inkluding shipping.. Thouse are the same lines that i probaly would reline in about 50 jumps as of different kind of dammgedes anyway..

Ivan,im happy that your ok bro.Was it that A again?

you better pay me a visit soon.. or atleast give me a shout...

I won't be doing it again

you say each time that you have jumped..;):D:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

If I could do a downwinder landing. The downwind speed that I felt comfortable at landing, that would be the ideal with my canopy set up. otherwise (with lower winds), it would just be up to my accepted level of risk which seems to not be ideal so much. It´s actually one of those altitudes that I don´t like much for freefall. because you are in the dark grey zone for flying away from the object and hooking it 180°. I would prefer to exit lower if there was no/low wind. but it seems always hard not to go to the top.
take care,
space

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in most conditions its a good altitude were you can deside if you want loads of canopy time on nearly 0 canopy time..

Its pretty much up to YOU as a jumper to judge which donditions you want to jump in:P

Space i like your explanation.. why climb that high if its safer whith less canopy times:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber