TomAiello

Press Clips: Jamie Boutwell

In todays Magic Valley News

TOPSTORY

"3, 2, 1 ... See ya." ... The big drop: Move to T.F. fulfills dream for BASE jumper

By Candace Baltz-Smylie
Times-News correspondent
TWIN FALLS -- Maybe it was a quarter-life crisis that led Jamie Boutwell, 30, to leave his career, girlfriend and hometown in northeast Ohio. But he says it was a bridge. His girlfriend, his career and his roots could not compete with the draw of jumping from the Perrine Bridge every day.

"I came to the realization and asked myself, 'Are you doing what you want to do?' and if not, then you're wasting your time," Boutwell said. "I came here on vacation, went home, and thought, 'What am I doing?'"

He moved to Twin Falls the following month. That was three years ago, and, depending on the weather, he's jumped nearly every day from the bridge that brought him here -- usually at least twice a day, once before going to work as a case manager at a juvenile detention center and once after work. The weekends are another story -- he jumps all day. Each jump takes more than an hour to complete, so it's definitely a way of life.

"There are blue skies, sunny weather, nice canyon, it's scenic," he said. "And of course a nice bridge, which is the icing on the cake."

Boutwell's love for free-falling began a decade ago when he earned his sky diving license. Then, about four years ago he discovered BASE jumping. BASE stands for Building Antenna Span Earth and to qualify as a genuine BASE jumper, he had to make one of each of those jumps. Each jumper is then awarded a number. There are only about 1,000 official BASE jumpers in the world, and Boutwell is No. 808.

Part of what keeps the numbers low is that BASE jumping is illegal most days of the year in most parts of the U.S. Only a handful of bridges are open to jumping, but even then it's only for a couple of days a year. The Perrine Bridge is the only location in the United States where it is legal year-round.

Ray Pickett, a friend of Boutwell's who used to commute from California to Twin Falls for the BASE jumping, says it's no wonder BASE jumpers move to Twin Falls.

"It's definitely a different way of thinking and living. You can't go through a city without gawking at every building and thinking, 'I'd like to be up there right now'," Pickett said.

Boutwell says it is almost a religious feeling.

"It's quite a spiritual thing, the most genuinely rewarding thing I've ever done," Boutwell said. "I like the personal responsibility of it: choosing the site, packing. It's a control issue. It's black-and-white in a very gray world. You learn more about yourself when you push your limits and I've learned more about myself than doing anything else."

Boutwell has had a few close calls, about eight total, in which something went wrong. But he's never been seriously hurt and he isn't about to let it scare him away from feeling complete.

"The rest just totally outweighs the handful of things I've had to handle," he said.

Boutwell's mother, Jane, does not share her son's love of jumping. She's scared of heights. He left her in Ohio when he moved to Idaho, and while she's visited him since, she hasn't seen him jump.

"I definitely have one of the best moms. I know it scares her and makes her somewhat uneasy," Boutwell said. "But coming out here she understood this is my life to live. She trusts my judgment, she's very supportive, but I know she worries about me."

But his mom says she plans to watch him jump the next time she visits Twin Falls.

"I realized because his Dad and stepmom were out there and they did watch him jump, that they became part of his world," she said. "And I thought, 'Jane, by not doing this you are missing something. It's not the BASE jumping, it's who he is.' "

Times-News correspondent Candace Baltz-Smylie can be reached by e-mail at [email protected].

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Jumped with Jaimie first of April. Good guy. Nice to see positive media about the sport.

"Admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof"

Nice Jamie! You should have mentioned your cool BASE jumping friends;)...

Rock on Jamie, I can't wait to get out of this hell hole and make some jumps with you again

Bryan Ody

Fame? Or is it Infamy, Jamie? I mean, I can't let you go unnoticed as the unkown B Team member, not any longer. YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM YOURSELF JAMIE! I know where you live, I have seen where you sleep, and soon, when you least suspect it (actually the 25th of May) you will have an awakening, much like the past. It WILL involve a copious amount of fireworks, and you will face the wrath, oh yes my friend, THE WRATH!

Right on Jamie! Great meeting you out in TF last month. Looks forward to seeing you (and the rest of the TF crew) on Memorial day weekend. B|

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon