BASE813

boots

Hanwags are great. I have pretty wide feet and they fit well. Mine seem to be a tiny bit too big though. As for narrow feet, I think the right size would work out just fine.

Put some Dr Scholl sport insoles (I think that's the kind any way) in and they'll serve you much bettter

If anyone plans to hike in boots that aren't broken in, then either plan to be in much pain or... Get Mole Skin and cover the pressure points before you begin.

The first set of hanwags I bought, I hiked right away and it sucked. The next day I learned all about the moleskin. The second set I bought, I was prepared and had no trouble at all.

It only takes one good hike to break in the boots.

I've yet to try other brands boots but I'm pretty sold on the ankle support. If others have the same support, then you can't go wrong.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If youre in Norway, without moleskin, try picking up "compeed" which is the norway equivalent of moleskin as far as I could tell, but this stuff is way better. Its like adhesive rubber pads. When I was breaking in my Cabela Meindels (boots) on kjerag, I got blisters. I put compeed on them, and was right back to heavy hiking. When the time came to get them off they were like part of my foot and wouldnt come off. Some of these usually are contained in the Smaskadepakken kits they have available. I also use gel heel inserts because these are way superior (I think) in comfort and shock absorbing...

Compeed

Second that! Once you put it on your foot though, there's no turning back. It stays on until it grows off your skin, and into your socks :).

That stuff saved me on many hiking trips in Switzerland.

Cheers,

Jaap Suter

If youre in Norway, without moleskin, try picking up "compeed"

band aid makes an 'advanced healing' second skin bandage that replaces a scab before it forms.. its great for deep gashes when you cant stitch and doubles as a moleskin replacement as well... in fact it works so much better i cant see any reason to buy moleskin at all anymore..