tommyh

Thailand

Does anyone know if there were any jumpers in thailand (or any other place affected) when the tsunami hit yesterday? I had some friends that were staying in tonsai over the weekend, but I think they are all OK.

A very dear friend (not a jumper) was vacationing in Phuket, Thailand when the tsunami hit. She was planning to Scuba Dive that day, but the divemaster cancelled because he knew about the quakes. So instead her and friends decided to take a Ferry to Phi-Phi Island. The tsunami hit while they were out at sea. They had no idea a tidal wave was under them. What they did notice, is the boat lay motionless in the water. The currents held the Ferry in place... When they arrived at Phi-Phi, they saw total destruction. The Ferry quickly became a rescue boat.
The conversation didnt go much farther than that, for a reason. I can imagine she will need some time to talk about what she witnessed. I can bet that she was strong and did all she could to help, thats her... She is also very sensitive, and I cant imagine how this will affect her.

Josh Morell
www.imagethisphoto.com

The amount of money given by our countries to aid them is ridiculous. The aid from the US government is half the amount spent in the US in a year for pet food...

We all should feel concerned by what happenedand get in touch with relief organization and other NGO's.

But this has nothing to do with BASE... Tom, please don't move this one, since I feel it's REALLY important.

Fabien
BASE#944

As Fabien said, it has nothing to do with BASE but has such a massive effect on all of us.

I myself have family in Thailand that where effected but the horour that has rocked Asia. We thank god that everyone is ok out there, my ancle had cuts but nothing else.

As I am traveling the world at the moment with Thailand my next stop, I have contacted an aid agencies and am flying out to volanter in January. I intend to spend 6 months doing whatever I can to help the people of Asia.

I feel that if possible, everyone should in any small way they can give something to help the people that have been caught up in this unthinkable disaster. How did we all feel on the sad day of 9/11! With the death toll from Sundays tsunamis in Asia and Africa now well about 100,000 i think we should all look closely to life and think about whatever we can afford to help these unfortunate people.

Thank you.

got one report saying that there are no missing climbers. Hard to imagine that. However, it appears that the guys on Tonsai saw the wave coming and started running. Much of lower Tonsai is gone, but the concrete structures are there. If it appears, as the day unfolds, that there are missing climbers, I feel a need to go over. ,,, It seems the climbers are sticking around and are helping to do this already. Maybe I'm doing best to be here.

Tonsai is wrecked. There is a boat where the RBC office was. The wave stopped between our next-door neighbor’s house and my house, so we are dry. Minimal boats left, so water and gas are at a premium. Not much food about. … More later.

Does anyone have any sort of contact or reports currently from Railey Beach? My wife and I were married on the beach out in front of the Sand and Sea back in May. The folks at the Sand and Sea are very wonderful, kind people. I imagine it is completely wrecked as well. We are worried for the lives of the nice people who made our wedding so great. Can't find any info anywhere.
Shane

My company is chucking in $2M and is supplying steel for temporary housing and future permanent construction projects. We have had family members of employees killed &/or missing too as we have operations in a number of the places affected.

It is hard to imagine our entire government only started with a $5M funding input. And what about the USA - luckily a lot of these govts were embarrassed into giving more.

Condolences to one and all.

Everyone should dig deep for this one.

:(
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Check out Railay.com. There is some information, plus a forum with people conveying info and exchanging messages to individuals. Apparently, Railay was barely affected by the wave. Power, food, and water are ok at this time, from what I've heard.