DexterBase

Lasers

I'm going to buy a laser rangefinder.

What models are you using? What do you like/ dislike about the model you have?

What would your current recommendation be for a laser if you were going to buy one today?

I use a Bushnell Yardage Pro. the only bitch I would say I have of it is that it does not have a back light to read the display in bad light / night time.

Also some objects due to the colour of the point I am zapping or the type of material wont register.

I have a mate who has an infra-red version that he is very happy with.............. not sure of the specs or disadv's etc on that.

Also there is a Scandinavian comany that does a laser that means you dont have to fuck around with Pythagoras as it uses multiple lasers and calculates the height you are pointing at for you.......... someone posted a link sometime ago, but I cant remember on which board..... I will try and have a search for it.

HTH

Michael

Hi Dex,

I also use a Bushnell Yardage Pro. I don't use it a lot, but have used it enough to know it is accurate to within 3 ft.
I haven't found the lack of a backlight to be much of a problem. There's usually something around with enough light that I can pan over to to backlight the numbers in the display.
A watch with the Indiglo face light works great as a make shift backlight too.

Rod

i also use the Laser Mac use.
I dont have the backlight problem as i really never us it while its dark,as it really wont "grab" the object at thouse times anyway..

I tell you what.. come visit me you can try out my laser,even borrow it whith you home some time... :P

2days.. your really close mate,now play safe all the way..;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I got a Yardage Pro too.

All in all, I am quite happy with it. I haven't had any issues with it since I got it. There are probably better models out there, but for a freebie:P, I like it.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I use the Leica LRF 800, and like it. Its flat, light, and has an illuminated display, although the red can be hard to read in daylight against a white or
light colored object. Tends to read a little lower than reality...

It is several years that I have been using happily my Yardage Pro 800 Compact Bushnell, it is reliable, it is backlit, jolly small to keep it in your pocket. Moreover, being quite a mature product, you can find it on the web at about 280$.
My advice: for about 290$, you can also find another mature still reliable rangefinder, Yardage Pro 1000, it is slightly bigger in size but perhaps worth for its longer theoretical range.
It is always nice (for few bucks more) to have the longest range possible/available, because let's remember that the 800 yd - 732 m and 1000 yd - 914 m ranges are THEORETICAL ranges.
ACTUAL ranges are way below the theoretical ones, from half the theoretical one down to one third to way less than one third, depending on characteristics and nature of target. If your are NOT shooting to a perfectly flat and perpendicular wall but instead you are shooting to foliage, trees, metallic frames, very small borders of thiny metallic frames, small thin particulars of civil buildings and whatever else is around out there, you know very well what the actual operative range of a laser rangefinder is.
For Mac: the Swedish rangefinder is fu(king amazing, you can measure objects's height from your home, its range is about 10 km (!!!!!) but I am afraid its affordability is only for few blokes, it costs aboput 10.000$ or so, moreover, it is jolly fu(king dangerous for your eyes.
Yes, the Swedish company produces also the model that with 2 measures (1 diagonal and 1 horizontal distance) calculates directly the height (having a built in inclinometer), but I remember that also this model is jolly more expensive than the Bushnell family of rangefinder.
To make short a long story: it is better to spend few bucks, do few measurements more and use Phytagora instead of having everything automatically calculated but having to pay WAY MORE money!!!!!!!
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com