Nataly

BASE in Europe

First of all, I would like to say that I do not have any BASE jumps under my belt..

I am going to Europe for a little over one month, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to learn about BASE jumping over there. I know there are some great spots (Norway, Switzerland, etc) for the sport.. What I want to know is if there are places suitable for beginners, and where to go to learn.

Any other useful tips would be welcome (ie: cost, equipment, things to watch out for..). Thanks in advance!

Nataly :)

PS: I am familiar with some of the suggested sites regarding BASE.. I am not looking for lectures on whether or not I should get into the sport--I wish to know about suitable places to start and get instruction. Words of the wise and sound advice are always welcome, though :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

BR's FJC.
More details: http://www.basicresearch.com/norway.htm ;)

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.
BASE #1075 / BMI #I-002 / PFI #042 / EGI #104

everyone i know in Europe that did FJC's went over to the states to do them!

I feel it depends on what you want to learn..........

if you want to learn to jump off a cliff then you can do the Norway course - but if you want a more comprehensive course then the manufacturers courses in the States are far the best way to go.............

Awww man!! [:/] I can't make it there on time :(

Thank you so much for the info, though!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Please, please, please DO NOT.

I can think of several cases where a skydiver (often an American, but it's happened to others) went over to Europe and decided to try BASE from one of those "tall, legal, hence just must be safe" cliffs over there.

Cliffs are not the best choice of object for a first jump.

Randomly wandering up to one of them and leaping off is not the road to a long and happy life.

If you are dead set on trying BASE in Europe, please go to Stavanger, Norway. Find more information about their program here.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Ok, I am asking about where to learn, and *if* it is a good idea to start in Europe. Some tips on this would be good..

In case this wasn't clear, I am not looking to just up and go without proper knowledge/skills. I am not interested in killing myself--this is why I am seeking advice from people who have experience.

Things I would like to know about BASE in Europe include where I could get a FJC, how much, where to jump for a beginner, and if it's worth my while to start in Europe (versus starting in the States, for example). I realise opinions may vary on these topics--please share them with me!!

Thank you for the link!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss