base698

Aerial Delay

I have a theory relating to throwing the PC while still on your back after a botched aerial, and was curious if anyone had discussed it. My guess is that when you pitch in that configuration that you add time to your delay for the PC to rotate you back around to center. Do the physics back this up? I know that one guy died last year after a seemingly normal delay after pitching on his back.

The way this post reads to me is that the pilot chute stables you out. Similar to when a tandem master throws out the drouge, when on his back. With base gear that isn't going to be the case. It is going to begin the deployment sequence in almost any attitude that you may be in. However it is going to be less than optimal from being flat when pitching. So the deployment sequence takes longer. If you were to watch a bridge day video there are many examples there. You will see that the canopy is what rights the persons bad body position. I think it takes longer in this instance because the canopy doesn't have a clean path to deployment in most cases.

If I have misunderstood the post or anyone has corrections post away. I am curious to hear what others have to say. Sometimes I have a hard time expressing what I have to say into writting.

Matt Davies

Perhaps we should consult the vid from your 1st gainer. hehe Left yourself open for that one.;)

Take care
Gabe
BASE 697

PS got your message. Email me with your flight times and be ready to catch up on some jumps:)

I think with a pin rig opening sequence would start sooner. My theory is that the pilot chute is using its energy to turn you thereby slowing things down a little.

Yes this is very present in my first gainer video.

Nope, it pops the pins, starts pulling the canopy to linestretch, while you keep falling. It won't change your body position because virtually no force is transferred to you until the lines are fully extended.