JovialChris

Reserve Size Decision

Hey all at DZ.com. I'm buying a new container! This is good since I've finally decided to give up my Naro of 10 years. Time to move down in Canopy size. I'd like to try a host of Canopies starting in the 150 range and plan on getting the container sized to fit various Canopies between approx. 120 and 150. this will give me max. longevity for my new container as I go down in Canopy size. I'm getting older, I don't think I'd ultimately get much smaller than a 120 anyway.

My question is that in theory one should try to match up with a similar reserve size (in case two come out). My concern however is the slim possibility that I, at one time may be unconcsious under a reserve canopy (this has happened frequently, or so I have read). Would it not be better in this respect to go w/ a 170 or 160 (I weigh 185) than the theoretical choice of a 143? I do plan to go w/ PD for the touted "superior structural stability.

Appreciate insight!

JovialChris

I'm Lost! Which way to the Prairie?

I have a 218 Reserve in my wings. it is made for a 148Xfire2 main...bigger is better...but it does make for problems if there are two out. I figured my chances were greater I would be low and under a reserve than in a two out situation especialy that i dont jump with any AAD.

I always say bigger is better...but problem is finding a rig maker that will make the combo sizes you need.

marc

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Well, the PD143 isn't 143 sq.ft.... It's quite a bit bigger than what you think of when you think of a "150", and it packs that way as well (from my experience it's probably closer to a "160" or maybe a bit larger).

As it's bigger than you would expect when buying that size canopy, the 143 would actually probably do you quite well. You could also go up to a 160, but then you're getting outside your envelope for pack volume (as it's much bigger than it's posted size as compared to the market as well :S).

A 160 would be a safer reserve than a 143 at your weight, obviously, but you've got to make it all fit in a container system safely...decisions, decision...

Another thought: The idea of matching your reserve size somewhat to that of your main so they fly better together really only works well if they're of relatively the same planform. If you're planning on flying an elliptical or an HP main, IMO, all bets are off.

My $.02, FWIW...

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

IMO, no. There isn't a rectangular (reserve) canopy out there that wants to fly the same as an HP. With that in mind, I'd say you need to focus your decision more on what reserve you want to land (unconscious?) more than matching rates.

Of course, it's all about risk management. If you think you're more likely to end up with 2-out, than that's a different story. Figure out your risks, put them in order, then make a choice based off how to cover as many of those risks as possible, from the top down in importance.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Summarizing some of above with my $0.02 worth. When jumping a large main you have the luxury of room for a bigger than minimum reserve. When looking for new, small gear, decide on the reserve that fits your size. That then limits, base on the container choice, design, and size options the mains that you can accommodate. Many people are jumping undersized reserves to get smaller rigs to fit the 98's and smaller of the world. (Mostly successfully) I have almost refused to pack a couple of rigs because of the overloading. They were marginal and I packed them. But there are people jumping reserves I'd refuse to pack because I don't want to be accused of putting it on their back. Two out concerns isn't usually going to be the deciding factor.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

First of all you're clearly rushing the new container/canopy thing. That Naro and SR-71 combo is good for at least another 10 years/10,000 jumps. But if you insist you should talk to Doc, he has done a considerable amount of research into the big reserve/small main thing. He's probably235 out the door, usually jumps a Cobalt 105 and around a 170 PDR. (numbers approximate) Getting a demo reserve is also cheap and worthwhile, I'm planning to demo one this summer. I think PD charges 25-30 bucks. I bet there are several jumpers who'd like to do a demo and share the cost. A Seattle Skydivers sponsored reserve demo weekend might even be a worthwhile event to consider. PM me if you like.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............