clint

BASE and Swoop Competition in MOAB!! IDEAS?

IDEAS ANYONE?

Since BASE jumping is legal here and there is now that there is a DZ, I would like input on what kind of competition would you like to see!

We will be having some type of competition in the future. Not sure how soon but sometime this year.
It will combine Swooping and BASE jumping!

Some will not like the idea but oh well, that's life! But for others this will be a great opportunity to combine both sports! LEGALLY!!
They swooped the BASE jumpers in Norway but it cost so much just to get there and a ticket to Moab anywhere in the USA is under $400ish!

I would love to hear any ideas of how we can join the 2 sports together! There WILL be PRIZE MONEY!

IT will be held at Mineral Bottom because the landing area is perfect for everyone!

DISTANCE/ACCURACY will be two of the rounds. Combining the distance of the swooper and the BASE jumper! We all know that you can swoop BASE canopies! You don't have to swoop them either, just pass through the gates and you will receive a score.

ACCURACY, well that's easy. Again combining the scores of your team and the lowest score wins.

ANyone can do this, you dont' have to be the best BASE jumper to do this either.

I have several other ideas but I really would like your input on this!
Again, some might not like the idea but.......

The possibilities are endless! This could be the start of a beautiful relationship!

Can't wait for the responces, good and bad!
Thanks,
Clint
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

If you make the same jumper do both things (and combine the scores somehow) you'll get a better group of well-rounded jumpers (who both swoop and BASE jump). Of course, that would leave out non-swoopers like myself.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hi Clint --

I think it would be a lot of fun!

One idea, which you may already be eluding to: have "team rounds" where you have a BASE jumper teamed up with a swooper. The swooper goes for distance while the BASE jumper goes for on-heading performance and accuracy. Their combined scores constitutes the team score. You could easily do 2 or 3 rounds of this...

It's just one of many possibilities.

For those skydivers out there who haven't had a chance to jump into a place like Mineral Bottom, go out and visit Skydive Moab...it's a beautiful place.

C-ya,

Bryan

Dudes Check it,

I was sitting on the toilet (thats were I get my best ideas) the other day, and was contiplating this very subject.:D I was thinking how sweet it would be for the combination of the two sports to merge into one beautiful union! (Sounds like a cheap chick novel... "As he thrust his purple headed warrior towards her mound of pudding love..."):$

Anyway's I was thinking along the lines of 4 rounds, and any of these could be interchangeable with the weather conditions.

Round 1: Distance
As you said earlier, add the distance of the two person team together for a final score. For the Swoopers It would have to be from the gates to the first point of contact. For the Base people I would suggest using the bigger wind blades so the base canopy's can get some score.

Round 2: Accuracy
For the swoopers use gates and an accuracy landing area with a "No Pass Line". You would get points for possibly hitting noodles after the gates, points for landing in the accuracy landing area, and then added points for a stand up landing. You would loose points for going out of the Accuracy landing area, and would loose all of your points for going past the "No Pass Line", therefore your base buddy has to support the team because of your measley performance.

Round 3: Distance / Accuracy
Make this round a combination of the two rounds. The gates would have to be at realistic points for the swoopers and the base people. This round will be challenging for the swoopers for the accuracy aspect, and for the base people for the distance aspect.

Round 4: Style (pronounced "Styley")
This round anything goes! There would have to be a panel of "impartial" judges making the calls.

Of course there would have to be rules about doing dangerous stuffB|, but I'm sure every one would be safe. These are just my thoughts on the entire thing. That's all I have to say about that.

Combining BASE jumping and Swooping to do a Comp.?
>You could use two man teams.
High performance Swoop jumper + Base jumper.
A combination of the Two scores. Swoop / Distance, Accuracy .+ BASE / Heading, Accuracy .
> Two fun things, But they are two different disciplines...
>Most Base jumpers know swoopers at the DZ and could team up easily. or the other way around.

A BASE Comp. with Heading, Accuracy and Swoop ?
> The only thing I was thinking about Is- How small of a BASE Canopy I would dare use in order to get a good Swoop score. Big canopy = good landing + more time to deal with problems.
A small,fast canopy means a fast good swoop, or it could mean a faster moving BASE problem .
>You have:
Cessna/DZ
Nice cliff with a good landing area. and its Legal...
Lot's of Hot #### Swooper's out there.
Lot's of good BASE jumpers out there.
Everything is there, It sounds like a good idea.
The possibilities are endless, but running with the idea seems to be the hard part.
Organizing is HARD. and hundreds of hours of work.
Make a plan and stick to it.
Fun People + Fun Place = Fun Times. Its hard to go wrong.

...Can I help you with anything, let me know. Every little bit helps.

..Ray Losli

I like your ideas! I don't want the heading to be involved. Why, I don't know? I just don't. I will need help promoting it when I get the rules done.
But so far the idea is there and I have a few things on paper.
A forever work in progress. I will shoot for Oct or Nov.
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012