brits17

My 1st Solo

So I consider last night my first 'real' solo, with no ground crew except for phone crew. Driving alone, operating the elevator alone (I brought a couple phone books to stand on since I couldn't reach all the switches). Climb up the ladder to the elevator, unplug, shut the door, ready to roll. The elevator starts to creek as it begins to liftoff, adding to my nervousness. Cool, I get to sit down, its so roomy without sharing the space. Man, 600 feet sure came fast. Open the door, stand out in the open now. Whoooosh, the winds were absolutely hauling. I give a wee side smile as reality sets in. Tiptoeing out to the rail, I shed my little paper and check the wind direction. Couldn't be better. Southside, my favorite, although the landing area is pitch black. Ah well, conditions are perfect. Sure is eerie though being out here all alone. Step back into the elevator, pull my pilot chute out, take my time routing the bridle making sure its in my hand perfectly. I must have checked the bridle literally 30 times before exit. Deep breaths, I'm good. Step out to the exit point, over the rails, hang on enjoying the view for a second or 2 as always. Couple more deep breaths before I start my aloud count, 3 (holy shit), 2 (can't back down now), 1 (commit), c ya! Good 3 seconds and pitch. Aaaaah, perfect opening and wow, short canopy ride. Good landing and a big "wahooo!" for no one to hear. Gather up my parachute and head back to my truck. Left everything as I found it and headed out all smiles. I feel much better now.

That was my lowest jump to date by 200 feet and I just had to share the experience.

Hello --

Congratulations! I'll never forget the first time I ventured out alone. Senses heightened -- every movement was so "in the moment". While certainly dangerous and not recommended for anyone, it provided me with some of the strongest memories of my BASE career. Even though that jump was almost 5 years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday...

I woke up suddenly and with a purpose. The full moon shone brightly through my bedroom window and I could tell that it wasn't going to let me fall back asleep. I rolled over and looked at the clock perched atop the old night-stand next to my bed. It was 1:15 in the morning.

Without any planning or thought, I rolled out of bed and pulled on the clothes I had worn the day before. I walked over to my closet and grabbed my stash bag and then headed out the door.

An hour later, I sat down on the steel-grate and let my legs dangle over the edge. The moon was lighting up the canyon in a way that I had never seen before. Soft light cast a glow that brought surreal definition to the canyon sides, lighting up every path and swatch of fir trees below. The river sparkled like a silver ribbon and as my eyes followed it downstream, it disappeared into eternity.

I sat there for 30 minutes or so, not really thinking of anything in particular, my mind drifting aimlessly in a state of calmness that I had not previously known.

Something inside told me it was time to go, so I stood up, tightened my legstraps, and gave myself a double look-over. As I placed my hands on the railing to climb over, I couldn't believe the sensitivity in every human cell that was softly touching the cold steel.

As I leaned forward and into my launch, I relished in that magical nano-second where time stands still, knowing that even though you haven't physically left the object, you are 100% committed and cannot reverse the motion. It's one of the highlights of every jump I make.

The feeling of accomplishment after a tip-toe landing confirmed everything that I knew BASE to be.

As I slipped out of my clothes and back into bed, I grinned and slowly drifted back to sleep by the light of the moon that had woken me so suddenly just a few hours before.

Britanny, welcome to one of the magical moments that BASE provides. And I'm smiling, knowing that for all of us, there are so many more to come.

Bryan

Excellent!

Quite a different game when there's nobody there to back your play. What an incredible feeling huh? Come out here and make a jump with us sometime soon!

I brought a couple phone books to stand on since I couldn't reach all the switches

Sorry, that made me laugh! Lets see, guessing your exit weight, for a BASE jump, you're BASE canopy would be a 120? :P

Hey, congrats girl, that kicks ass! I'm jealous.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Woot! You go Brit! B|

I noticed that my phone had a missed call at around 11:30. Sorry I missed ya, but I was flickin' a tower down here in Fla myself. ;)

Gang, Brit is hitting it hard core. I've been calling her "mini-me"... only she's better looking. :D

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

cool follow up bryan, thanks :)

Nice work! - I love solos! it really is a time for ones self..........