lazyfrog

another one bites the dust (switz...)

non fatal accident in Lauterbrunnen, jumping from Mousse, return to cliff under canopy, broken hipbone... 2 brothers in law jumping for a newspaper (Le Matin... big pile of shit... base jump accident on 1st page on the sunday issue...) But for once the article itself was not SOOOO sensationnalistic but made by a guy who followed the jumpers etc etc. explaining that wuffos could absolutely not understand, and that it should not be tried at home etc...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

What is going on in LB? Is BASE the latest fad over there where every parachutist with a few skydives is trying their hand at BASE? Sounds like way too many incidents this year. I'm sure the SBA is working on it. Let us know if we can help in any way...

Stay safe.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

they were all apparently "experimented" BASE jumpers... Gabi had 260+ jumps...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Hey Nicholas aka Lazyfrog, the title of your post really sucks. "Another one.." is a person that has friends, a family and other basers that consider him/her family.
I don't want to flame for no reason, but I feel strongly about a non base jumper posting on a base forum with tabloid style headlines like this crap. I realize the post itself isn't offensive, but the subject heading sure is. Living in Switzerland does not make it ok, nor does a non fatal incident. Please post shit like this on one of the skydiver gossip forums where real base jumpers won't be around to piss off. I'm sure all the other 200 jump wonder plane jumpers will be all shook up, ooooh! Come back when you know something about the subjects and people you post about.

Gabi was my friend and will be missed. I hope the secondary exit point she loved so much in the valley is re-named after her. To me it's Gabi's Spot. Maybe shorten it to G Spot for the hook factor....

-Finn

This forum started out ok, good questions from those curious, good info from some of the greats, etc... but now it is becoming yet another place where plane jumpers post their cute comments back and forth to each other. I hope it gets back to BASEics.

I'm not even a 200 jump wonder plane jumper...

I agree with your point to an extent, but your post comes off with even less taste than the quote you are criticizing. There's a large difference between a tight-knit, loving community (the picture you're trying to paint of BASE), and an exclusive separatist one which calls others by names to strengthen segregation. I'm not claiming to know a damn thing about the BASE community as a whole, but you say you don't want to create flames, then repeatedly refer to skydivers as "plane jumpers", which to me seems like the equivalent of skaters calling rollerbladers "fruitbooters", or surfer calling body boarders "spongers". It would be more tactful to stick to your point, which has nothing to do with how many jumps Lazyfrog has, or what he has exited from.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Sorry "The111", but I agree with Huckfinn. The title of that post would never have been thought up and posted by another true BASE jumper. Whenever one of the, skydiving only community slams thier tiny parachute into a perfectly manicured 100 acre field at 200 miles an hour, like every weekend, you will not find one of us going onto your sites with any comments other than sincere condolences. Both sports are rough on the body of the participants, as well as our family and friends. Let's just be a little more sweet when were talking about nasty accidents like this.
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

Spider, please read the second sentence in my post, I said that I also agree with Huck's point... my beef was regarding the way he made his point. And for the record, Huck, and everyone else involved, I do offer my condolences too... I know it might seem incredibly inappropriate and off-topic of me to make the post I made in this incident thread, but I don't think Huck's mindset was entirely appropriate either and I hate to see similar sport enthusiasts dividing themselves like that....
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Thank you for your reply. First of all I totally disagree that my post has less taste than someone referring to deaths and serious injuries as "another one bites the dust." It might be low on the taste meter, but it's miles above the that crap.
Didn't mean to offend you with the plane jumper thing (yeah right), I am a working plane jumper myself. I just wanted to make the distinction clear as folks like Robin are always blurring the lines by calling base jumpers "extreme skydivers". I hate that.
I have seen so many plane jumpers get all pissed off at their grandma when she begs them to quit that dangerous suicide sport. "But Granny, you have no idea what you are talking about, it's safer than driving with you in South Florida when you are late to the early bird special!" Now if Grandma had 5600 jumps, they would probably think her words wise or take the joke in stride. "Ha ha Granny, you are sooo funny! Grandma, Grandma..... are you awake?"
Now if this comment came from JJ, I wouldn't even flinch. Folks that have been there can use black humor, folks that haven't..... Next time you are in a subway, listen up to the way the tough looking local crowd talks to each other. Now pick a few choice greeting they use on each other, walk right into the middle of a group, and try them for yourself. Let me know how it goes.
I'm just rambling here, but I hope you get my point. Respect breeds respect.

Ok you valley wannabe poser plane jumpin high pullin two chute wearin AAD equiped sissy fruitbooter. Nice talking with you.

-Finn

Cute quote to sign my post with- "Just say no to drugs" Nancy Reagan

"Ok you valley wannabe poser plane jumpin high pullin two chute wearin AAD equiped sissy fruitbooter. Nice talking with you. "

Succinct and to the point. Salut.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

Next time you are in a subway, listen up to the way the tough looking local crowd talks to each other. Now pick a few choice greeting they use on each other, walk right into the middle of a group, and try them for yourself. Let me know how it goes.

I'd like to think some of us have risen above that mentality... just pointing out that it exists in some facets of life doesn't convince me that it's a good attitude.

You say "respect breeds respect," but I see "experience breeds respect."
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

> "I'd like to think some of us have risen above that mentality... just pointing out that it exists in some facets of life doesn't convince me that it's a good attitude."
You say "respect breeds respect," but I see "experience breeds respect."

You are correct, I should go and edit that line to make you look silly. In base experience does breed respect. Not just experience, but it's a big factor. That's the way it is in almost any activity.
I see the angle you are coming from, but I don't think it is about "rising above" anything. Sometimes it is just not ok to assume you can come into a group and expect to get away with subtle innuendos, dark humor, local expresions and the like. I'm sure you would feel similar if I was talking to your mom and dad the way your little sister does.
I'm not implying it is ok for the subway gang to kick your ass for busting in with the 411, but you can't expect them to welcome you as their own.

Have a pleasant afternoon.

I actually agree with everything you just said, I guess the point that bothered me the most was I really don't think the original poster intended any offense to anyone, and I'm even more certain that his level of experience had nothing to do with his choice of words. But I can see why it would bother you...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Next time you are in a subway, listen up to the way the tough looking local crowd talks to each other. Now pick a few choice greeting they use on each other, walk right into the middle of a group, and try them for yourself. Let me know how it goes.

Been there & done that, I diden't come second, it was just another day, we done things where we were brought up that bonded us for life, trusting our mates to stop knifes slicing into our skulls as we battled for our lives, fighting 10 blokes, only the 3 of us, we all placed our lives in each others hands, we won,always.

but hey, we wern't so hard as to let someone hold on to our piloit chute the first time we based, sorry, but you are our hero for doing the brave B>A>S>E> thing's you do.
it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

trusting our mates to stop knifes slicing into our skulls as we battled for our lives

Sharp knives. :o
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Sharp knives. :o

Hey we lived in England, guns are not really tolirated(spelling) ;)
it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

I think Lazyfrog was refering to the two guys who were going for the publicity shots,
i think he was likening them to Mr Bumgardener and the such, people who wouldn't probably think twice about burning a site for some $$ or a 50 word artical in the local paper.
I could be wrong of course.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

SORRY The111, just noticed, I was replying to the fucking thing bloke, again, sorry.

Sorry again, that was the Huckingthinbloke, :D

>Now if this comment came from JJ, I wouldn't even flinch. Folks that have been there can use black humor, folks that haven't.....

Jesus Christ! Even I have a little more class than that. I flinched when I read that title today and hoped the moderator would either change the title or erase the thread. I knew Gabbi pretty well, hanging out with her in the red bus and jumping with her in the valley. My sincere condolences to her family and friends.

Reading the title of this thread pissed me off and my first thought was the guy who wrote this sensationalist titled crap must NOT be a BASE jumper. I used to sort of like this site because it brings in the "not so serious BASErs" and "wanna be BASErs" but after spending some time here, reading the replys (like on this thread), my dislike for most dropzones and skydivers, and seeing the lame shite some people use to represent themselves when they post, I'm beginning to think I'll stick to the "BASE only" sites - Cause skydiving aint BASE jumping!

Skydiving is soft and squishy...but BASE is (for the most part) HARD.

MD #4

Do you?
Do I even need to mention.......
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Do you?

More than yous I does believes.

Do I even need to mention.......

No don't do it Avery, don't bring up the "DEATH MONGER!"

I still stand behind my beliefs. IMHO, there's a big difference between using death footage with the intention to teach/scare wanna be BASErs into being safe and helping them realize what they are getting into, or trying to make BASErs be more safe, and trying to use humor/cliches to catch the eye onlookers. Especially when the poster is assumedly a non-BASEr.

Enough said.

JJ

>blurring the lines by calling base jumpers "extreme
>skydivers". I hate that.

Not defending anything, but . . .

In the very early eighties BASE jumping is mostly called fixed object jumping. The word BASE didn't really catch on until about 1982 - ‘83. But before that in the late seventies it is indeed widely called extreme skydiving.

In fact I saw the sport of BASE jumping start that whole custom of calling certain things extreme. (By the way, I was sick of the "E" word about a year later). And for the record the second sport I ever heard called extreme is land luge in about 1986. The usage of the adjective eXtreme exploded after that.

However, in the 1980s skydivers and BASE jumpers are like Clark Kent and Superman, they are one in the same person. We used to argue to USPA to run our BASE ads in PARACHUTIST Magazine because ignorance is death and their members are the ones who needed the information for general purposes and for Bridge Day. I’m glad to see they have finally come around almost twenty years later.

There are few, if any, true BASE jumpers. To me that means someone who never skydives. Not even in the beginning. Ritchie’s one that made over a hundred BASE jumps before he made a first skydive. Some of his comments after the jump are, “Man, we opened so high,” and, “that was my first stowed jump.” There are a few more people like that, but not many. I began calling skydiving and BASE jumping nothing more than sister sports, at that time, as we learned through death and injury just how different the truly are.

There are certainly more parachutist nowadays who have forgone skydiving for BASE jumping. And the divergence in gear and technique between the two is as large as it’s ever been, but we are still mostly the same people . . .

There’s a lovely thought all BASE jumpers have at least once in their careers. It’s when they want the sport to freeze at whatever level it’s at. This usually occurs as they achieve the peak of their skills. But it’s never going to happen. We tried hiding, we tried keeping the jumps quite, we tried tar and feathering those who broke the code, but slowly but surely the Jolly Roger came fluttering down the flag pole and BASE jumping became (if you are old) unbelievably mainstream.

In speaking to Bill Ottley I laughed after he saw Carl Boenish’s first films of El Cap and he said, “We’re never going to be able to put that Genie back in the lamp.” And for years the largest picture in his office at USPA is the jump he made off El Cap (legal) in the early eighties.

Most (if not all) BASE jumpers come from the ranks of skydivers, that’s the way it’s always been, and probably the way it always will be. And here is a place they can come and ask questions. Carl Boenish believed BASE jumping is a birthright. It’s a spectacular achievement in the annals of human flight. If there is a God he must look down and say, “Look, the thing I made them the most afraid of, they went and turned into a friggen sport. “

Not even Carl knew how wildly accepted BASE jumping would become. When he started the first BASE magazine (called BASE Magazine) he says it’s somewhat because he feels a certain responsibility for popularizing the sport. (He would modestly never claim to have invented BASE jumping).

Later, I also did a BASE magazine for awhile and still don’t mind e-mailing people who need a steer in the right direction. Brother and sister skydivers are always going to become BASE jumpers, and they need a place to come and ask questions. We are, after all, all still the same people.

I can put up with the rest . . .

Nick
BASE 194

I agree with your intention, to teach, your method may be (IMHO) what lacked class. I agree with your sentiment on the original poster of this thread, completely inappropriate. What are we to expect from a fifty jump wonder? Perhaps he hasn't seen a friend perish, or helped recover the body......
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Nick, you really amaze me with your ability to convey. Thanks for jumping in when you do, I know I'm not the only one smiling when I read your posts.
JJ, I only used your name because you are one solid F'n base jumper. MD#4-one hard c*nt. And you're a sick fuck, but you know that.
Base jumpers usually skydive. Most I know are not skydivers, it is different than it used to be I think.

The title of the post still pisses me off. Every base death I hear about just makes me want to shake every jumper I know. Shake them and make sure they are as sharp as they could ever be, fresh on every possible scenario on every single jump. I want to see posts about how and what and why, not bullshit sensationalism.

When our brothers and sisters die, I feel the loss.

Something I am really worried is the thing those two guys did (compared to anything written on this forum..): Actively Burn this Site!!!!!

I think the post had nothing to do with our lost angel and other losts, and was no offend.

"Tar and feather" is not deeply in our history (helvetitions just killed instead), but seriously thinking about it... Don't try to show up like those guys: 50jumps, camera, back exit @ la mousse, low dense air not event to mention the guy with the cam on the top. Even me with my small experience know that it shouln'd be that way.

LB is still legal... We should all try to keep it that way. The rules are mentioned a million of times already...

good healing anyway to this guy.