andy2

180 offheadings

When one is experiencing an offheading, and object strike is imminent, is it better to "flare" both rear risers, and attempt to get backwards motion, or is it better to just go through with the one rear riser turn. I may be wrong, but from my understanding, a parachute turn doesn't pivot in place, it A) loses altitude, B) foward motion lift from increase of speed, and C) turns.

But, I understand a rear riser turn creates a lot less foward motion, due to collapsing the entire back of part of the canopy, as opposed to just a section on a toggle turn. So what's better? I suspect in high winds a rear riser stall would create some pretty fast backwards motion, pulling you from the object, giving you more space. Is this correct thinking?

Maybe I need more time under canopy :S

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

forgot to add, or is this a "flat turn" type thing. Where you pull on both rear risers but just pull on one less, creating a slower, but more docile turn?

let my inspiration flow,

ok one more question, I just keep thinking of themB|

When/if you strike an object, what is the accepted method of dealing with that? We're long past the actual avoidance of the object, and you've hit it. I think your first reaction would be to kick off, but would that be detrimental? Would that "pound" the canopy further into the object, collapsing it more?

How would you deal with an object strike?

Does it depend on what type of object it is?

let my inspiration flow,

Hi Andy,
my thinking on the subject is this...
180's with a little time use toggles to turn. You lose less altitude and can possibly make it to a better landing area.
180's with not much time use one rear riser (or two). You lose more altitude and could possibly stall it but your first priority is not hitting the object, then land in your alternate landing area/s.
Only you will be able to tell how much time and space you have to clear and turn away from an object when that time comes. A lot of factors come into play as you are turning and after you have turned so make sure all the scenarios are played out in your head. How much altiude can you eat up and still make a "good" landing area???Winds(thermals, rotors,etc), LZ's, ground obsticles(power lines, buildings, trees, rocks, etc.) Oh and there is a way to "pivot" a canopy in place more or less. It eats up at lot of altitude and is very difficult to do correctly and finish exactly 180. It consists of both rear risers, then both risers on one side (there is more to it than this). You have to let up at the correct moment or you could be continuing around to meet the object again except maybe a little harder than you would have before. It's hard to simulate in skydiving because of the opening speeds and pressurization charicteristics but give it a try. I'm assuming your meaning slider down jumps right, cause most slider up jumps you should be far enough away from the object not to hit it ;)
I've not hit an object yet so my thoughts might be wrong with this but I would suggest NOT sticking any limbs out in front of you. You may think they can help to brace you for impact but I think they they will just break. I would try to turn my body so I hit with my side and make sure nothing is sticking out to "snap". Also, the canopy will keep flying towards the object over and over again unless you turn it so don't "give up" after the first strike. This is where I think Valved type canopies will really help by not slammimng you repeatedly into the object trying to inflate and pressurize.
Just a couple of quick thoughts before I go out and make a jumpB|
Jason

there is no textbook way to hit a cliff.

Don't give up until you're dead.

Fly your canopy until it can't fly no mo.

And we all need more time under canopy

please don't hit the wall.

My standard "near" object avoidance routine follows Karin's Boyfriend's guidelines.

If you see the object, grab the toggles and turn.

If your body is tensing for impact, go for risers.

Grab both rear risers to kill forward movement.

Release one rear riser, and cross that hand over to grab the other front riser (you should still be holding this rear riser down).

This should generate the best turn, with minimum forward movement. It will, however, cost a lot of altitude, so be sure to keep an eye on the ground.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com