Skylark

Kjerag

Is it possible to spend a week watching jumpers here? Is there local accomodation etc? I'm interested in filming and watching jumpers from the landing area but also from the exit points. In other words, is it possible to climb up, then climb down again? Or do you have to jump :o

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

the answers to your questions are yes, yes, yes, and just for good measure, yes.
check thebasepoint.com FFI.

Sure, but that guy in the thread is a non-jumper working for a large TV company trying to get footage for nothing. I'm a skydiver who is simply interested in seeing if BASE is what I want to do. But yes, you're right, if possible it's always best to ask permission :)

After reading that Blinc forum posting, its obvious there are lots of misconceptions about selling your footage to television. This will give you an idea of how much you should be selling your clips for: http://www1.sky.com/pdf/SkyN_ratecard2.pdf

Remember, these are the minute minimum rates. In other words, you should always be paid for a minutes footage, even if they only use 10 seconds. Thus if you sold a 6 second clip to CNN say, you should be paid no less than £2,460 ($4,029). This is because they're a rolling news channel and will repeat the clip every hour for 24 hours, and they broadcast worldwide.

I have a huge amount of experience of selling clips to television news and production companies worldwide and I know every single trick in the book they try to use. If anyone want's any independent advice, PM me.

I am not a BASE jumper, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Why not try to find some local BASE jumpers and ask if you can watch one of their jumps? Afterall, Kjerag is exspensive to get to, if you don't live in Norway, and if you did start BASE jumping, you'd be jumping in your area probably most of the time anyway. Right now I think flying to Norway would be a little pre-emptive.

Why would you have to be filming, anyways? Film with your eyes, if all you want to get is a feel for the sport.

Also, Kjerag is a very unusual and advanced BASE jump. The majority of your BASE jumps will be nothing like the jumps you could do from Norway.

Just my humble opinion, I am like you as well, in the learning process :)

*edit- please someone correct me if I said anything that could steer this guy wrong.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Given Skylark's location, I'd say Norway is a great choice for what he wants. He can show up, hike out, film, talk to people, hang out, etc. There's a big crowd there for most of the summer, and anyone can show up.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com