ExtremeBaser

Potato State Bridge

Let's all be Careful at the Memorial Day Boogie this weekend.
Before Jumping everyone should think about what happened to the jumper that smacked the water from 486' last Memorial Day weekend.
At this site, 3 seconds is enough and @5.8 your dead.

Amen brutha.

I'm habitually tugging on all my lark's heads now.

See ya starting tomorrow! Woohoo!!! B|

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Whoops, wrong issue. But still a good practice to be in.

Check your p/c's too!

- Z

Thanks... I was there, it was scary. A miracle happened that day.

See ya this weekend.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

OK, got it wrong again. I'll just shut up now. :$

But the reminders are still legit. :|

- Z

Last Memorial Day weekend a jumper Died jumping that 486' span.
Miracles?
Maybe it would be a Miracle that you know the facts before you Post.

Last Memorial I witnessed (and video taped) a person open his round at about 5.2 seconds after multiple back layouts.

The Jumper impacted rather hard and survived with multiple injuries. That to me was a miracle.

On a later weekend, not memorial weekend, There was a death. :(

I apoligize to you for the confusion.

Stay safe. I'll see you this weekend. Come find me and we can enjoy a couple beers together.

-
-

I also shot video of that jump. It was a five way. I am the one who ran to the tourist center, rig and helmet on, camcorder in hand and called 911. Happens that fast! Keep you heads on straight people and have fun. It's not fun watching one of us go the the hospital. (especially if your that one) Let's keep this site open!!
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

Miracles?

I was going to post a nice "See you there!" until I read this unwarrantedly nasty and misguided response. Now I've lost my joviality.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

It was probably posted before thinking through.

Don't let it keep you down.

Have fun, be safe, and remind him - when you see him - we all have that little nerve that plays a sour note. Take care of each other and it'll never be strummed.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Yo Narcimund.. no biggie... I've never met you but I'll look you up and say hello.

See ya There.

Thanks Cajones

Have a good weekend
-
-

I was going to post this when I came online but I'm happy to see someone beat me to it.

I would still like to say, have a fun weekend but be as safe as you can out there. Look out for each other and do good gear checks!

I wish I could be there but I'm still stuck far away from home. C-ya!

Actually, the fatality at that bridge occured the weekend after Memorial Day.

The accident on memorial day involved a low pull on a round. The jumper in question made a startlingly quick recovery (especially considering he required spinal surgery).

I believe that Hookitt was present at the accident, and knew the facts.

ExtremeBaser: I dislike the tone of your message. I encourage you to be a little more polite to others in this forum. Consider this your first, last and only warning.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Wow. What a change of atmosphere from the usual anti-base attitude or cluelessness most places. The town doesn't just tolerate base -- they celebrate!

We registered at the Shilo Inn Friday night and got our room keys. I asked, "Any discounts we should know about? AAA? AOPA? That sort of thing?" The clerk said "No, you've already got all the discounts applied." Later that night we walked back through the lobby and he called out to us, "Are you base jumpers?" We nodded and he said, "Oh! I thought so. There's a base jumper discount." He then took another $10 off each night.

Then there was Woody's sports bar that sold half-price pitchers to anyone who brought in their day's base video to show on the 14-foot screen.

And then there were the hundreds and hundreds of observers throughout the weekend who came and went on the ends of the bridge to watch and discuss and cheer. It was fun to listen to their discussions as they guessed at the purpose of that "little thing trailing behind" or if the jumpers under rounds intended to land in the water or wondered how to get involved. The hunched-over, white-haired volunteers in the Visitor's Center were so incredibly CUTE as they explained the jumping to tourists buying postcards and commemorative shot glasses.

Not to mention the river tour business that dedicated 2/3 of their boats entirely to shuttling jumpers from the landing area to the park for $6 then threw a no-charge feed Sunday afternoon for everyone. THAT is what capitalism is about! (And cheers to the jumper who usually hikes out but who tipped the boat owner $100 after he unexpectedly needed a rescue.)

Aside from the local Portland crowd (NONE of which showed up, the brats!) who are all friendly but basically on the margin between well-adjusted and mentally ill, I haven't met many others. This weekend I got to meet MANY base jumpers from around the country and they're ALL on the same margin. They're well behaved people, obsessively consumed with their personal adventure. What great people!

What an interesting form of boogie. There was ZERO organization among the jumpers -- just a word of mouth spontaneous gathering -- but the community around the bridge responded with cooperation and celebration and good business sense. Cheers!

Miracles?

Talk about putting your foot in your mouth. Definitely a good idea to know the facts before you post - as you just proved to us all. The fatality happened the next weekend, and I hate to see it brought up once again in such an ugly fashion. Maybe you posted before you had time to think?

c-ya
May

Hey guys ...

This thread started with good intent. There was a misunderstanding and a hasty emotional slam towards me. I've private messaged ExtremeBaser about this with out response.

Though the message was uncalled for, sometimes the overwhelming urge to slam a person you don't know takes over.
--------------

Fun was had by all and I'll try and start a new thread later to hopefully compliment Narcimund's reflection of the weekend. We didn't meet but maybe antother time.

There were some injuries unfortuanately, non life threatening, and at least one broken leg that was put back to gether nicely with a new titanium rod. I believe that one to be the most serious but I'm not certain about that.

On a good note, I met the person I video taped slamming into the water last year. It felt really good to tell this person how cool it is to meet him. It was a cool moment to watch him do a nice gainer in complete control and land ever so softly in the landing zone.

Cheers.

This thread started with good intent. There was a misunderstanding and a hasty emotional slam towards me. I've private messaged ExtremeBaser about this with out response.

Though the message was uncalled for, sometimes the overwhelming urge to slam a person you don't know takes over.

Thanks for the nice reply hookitt - you have a great attitude. Most BASE jumpers who I have personally met have had an extremely good attitude, very intelligent and reasonable people. Unfortunately on these public forums sometimes people tend to say a little more than they should, or write emotional responses without thinking.

Anyhow, thanks for the positive attitude - I'm sure that is a reflection of the jumpers who were there this past weekend. That was the place where I discoverd that BASE jumpers are much nicer people than they sometimes seem to be on the public forums ;)

And it's good to hear everyone had a good time with no serious injuries. Sorry to hear that anyone was injured at all, but hope they heal quick!

peace out...
May ;-)

"saving the world before bedtime..."

Oh yeah? Who the hell do you think you are you zen-postin' peacenick!

how about you come up to my neck o' the woods and say that to my FACE!

[oh, sorry, I had the overwhelming urge].

PS: even better...meet me at the above listed span 6/19-23 and we'll deal with this like real men.

LOL !!!

I'll see what I can do about 6/19-23.

Call me a zen-postin' peacenick will ya...
Why I oughta....

Aside from the local Portland crowd (NONE of which showed up, the brats!) who are all friendly but basically on the margin between well-adjusted and mentally ill, I haven't met many others. This weekend I got to meet MANY base jumpers from around the country and they're ALL on the same margin. They're well behaved people, obsessively consumed with their personal adventure. What great people!

We were going to make the trip, but our medication was running low and it just didn't seem prudent. :P

Seriously, I was busy over the weekend. It's the middle of the equine breeding season, and my stallions are more than a little busy. Given my unique skills in this area, I was called on to help out over the weekend.

So there you go - while you all were having fun jumping off bridges, I was jacking off stallions. Now, honestly, which sounds like more fun? :ph34r:

Peace,

D-d0g

ps: I hear they do some BASE jumpin' up here in Canada - if I can ever get my rig back from Deputy Dumbnuts I am looking forward to re-acquainting myself with the sport.
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

MVC-220F.JPG

Doug,

Be sure to ask me what -I- did in Idaho.

-- LJ

Be sure to ask me what -I- did in Idaho.

I already heard the rumors - congrats!

Peace,

D-d0g
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

I already heard the rumors

Do you find it strange to learn people are talking about you when you're not around, too?

This was my first time out there and wow what a weekend it was. We too experienced nothing but love from the locals. One night, we went to eat at Outback at 9pm, well, turns out they closed at 9pm, not only did they let in our group of 4, but somehow our table of 4 turned into about 25, if not more. Never heard one complaint from the restaurant.

Anyways, it was a great trip, I found this bridge to be a great place to learn about BASE, I came there with only 1 BASE jump and walked away with 10 more, and learned a lot, though I know what I did learn is only the tip of the iceberg.

~La La Gang Member #2~