narcimund

BASE in a day

I was chatting with DW last night and mentioned it would be fun to get BASE in a day. Of course he had an amazing basegod "BASE in two hours" story, but I interrupted. "No, I mean qualifying BASE in a day. I'm talking about doing one's first four jumps off four qualifying objects, in a day." He was stumped. For once someone came up with a stunt he couldn't claim or achieve!

I'm sure someone's done it though. After all, everything else in the world has been done. Anyone got any war stories about it?

First Class Citizen Twice Over

J.D. Walker, BASE 37, did it in a day, in the order B, A, S, and E. This is the same person who started the whole Get Extreme with Dew (Mountain Dew) theme of the 90's. There a few others who've accomplished the BASE cycle in a day.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Sounds to me like a good way to fuck yourself up in a hurry, but I'm sure it can be done.
Base # 942
The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself.

Hey, do you have a beef with DW for some reason? What's with the mean-spirited undertones? How disappointing.... :|

...do you have a beef with DW for some reason? What's with the mean-spirited undertones?

Somehow I doubt it. I know them both, and I read that as friendly fun.
The Little Aussie is just so damn good that his friends have to make fun of him. Otherwise, the only possible response is jaw-dropped-in-amazement awe. And it's very little fun to hang out with a bunch of people who are in awe of you all the time.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Narcimund, but I didn't hear any mean-spirited undertones.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

You may be right Tom, and perhaps I'm too sensitive to comments on DW. I just get tired of snide remarks by those who do not know him or have only met him once or twice.

I know who Narcimund is and that is why I'm disappointed. He didn't seem like the type of guy that would be sarcastic and bitchy, especially toward someone who just told me that he thought Narcimund was a nice guy. Kind of a bummer is all....

I read that as friendly.

"wow... I just stumped the best... who'd a thunk?

It seemed just like he wanted us (or K's Boyfriend) to just think about it.

Things that make you go Hmmmmm??
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

...perhaps I'm too sensitive to comments on DW....

I just switched to another machine so I could read your profile (the other one is having some wierd error). Now I understand.

BTW, I'm trying to refrain from using his initials. I usually call him the Little Aussie, but D-Dog has convinced me that we should all switch over to calling him K's Boyfriend from now on... :P
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I took it as a compliment to DW actually.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

>D-Dog has convinced me that we should all switch over to calling him K's Boyfriend from now on...

Now THAT I like.... wudda nice change. B|

Hey, do you have a beef with DW for some reason? What's with the mean-spirited undertones? How disappointing.... :|

No no no! Don't be so sensitive. How often does a nobody like me have a chance to do something (or even think of something) the Master can never do?

Besides, your BF helped d-dog coach MY BF through his first base jump and held his pilot chute off a 155' S this weekend. I'm full of admiration and like his company and he's the last person I'd have any desire to piss off.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

On another topic, Christ! but it's hard to say anything on dropzone lately. Everyone's hyper-sensitive and quick to anger and offense

This forum or dz.com-wide? I didn't think the tone here was too bad, but maybe it's worse over in Talkback... I don't frequent that all that much anymore mainly because the same themes keep resurrecting themselves. :P

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

OK, OK - my bad then. Every now & then my feathers get ruffled over certain things and I'll get a little too overprotective for my own good.

Stay safe out there. Esp on those 155 footers - I've popped off quite a few from that one myself.

And BTW, in case you weren't aware, we are ALL fabulous Nobodies. :)

Honestly, what we're all in awe of are his golden, flowing locks. Wow!

B|

Peace,

D-d0g

+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

With all respect to narcimund, who I'm sure was simply trying to come up with an interesting post, while BASE in a day might be an intriguing idea for an experienced BASEr, it's totally inappropriate (in my opinion) for someone without experience to even consider it...

Furthermore, I doubt any newcomer could accomplish such a feat without help and it seems to me any mentor who helped such a person would be doing it simply to say 'hey I taught so-and-so to BASE in a day!'

I'm not a current BASE jumper and if the most experienced BASE jumper in the world were ever to decide to decide to do such a thing, I'd probably have to defer to his experience, but can you imagine the uproar if anything happened in such an attempt - people are often out for blood after totally innocent accidents occur in jumps that are planned out properly...

Not to mention that objects for such an attempt would have to be picked to be real easy, and so much would have to looked after by the mentor (I think it would be just too much overload for the newbie) that the learning on such a feat would probably not be high...

That's just my opinion, and if someone does it and gets away with it, good for them... I think it could be done, but I don't really think it could be done safely - you'd be relying on good luck...
And sooner or later luck will run out.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Attached is a still from the latest ABA video, For A Few Jumps More, of a guy who did BASE in his first four jumps. The first three are PCA'd and he freefalls the A for his fourth, hand-held. Doesn't say that it was done in a day though. Not familiar with the objects to know if it's geographically possible. Unlikely.

BASEin4jumps.JPG

I heard that Muff Brother #1 did a similar stunt. He took a non-jumper, and got him BASE in 5 parachute jumps (one tandem from a plane, then the four qualifying jumps). I don't believe it was done in a day, though.
Sure it can be done, but you'll get a lot more personal satisfaction if you take the long road, I think.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

It took Norm Hocking three weeks to do BASE... his story is at http://basejump.org (near the bottom of the articles section).

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.