ojf1982

Minimum height

I were looking after a more practice guideline.
Ill PM you,while its a kind of personalchoise,how to deside how to preform a BASEjump.and i seccond that the manuals are conservative,but they also have to think in a kind of safty isue.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Must I be the first one to remind you folks the OTHER reason they are called TARDs?
Can you say "short bus?"

The name reminds me of my favorite big-wall climbing tool: RURPs--the Realized Ultimate Reality Piton.
A TARD can easily be your Realized Ultimate Reality.
Don't be a Dick.

Please, anyone reading this, don't consider a Tard unless (a) you are already an advanced BASE jumper, (b) you understand all the extra risks (have you considered what happens if you stick your foot into the nose of a cell, for example?), (c) you have someone who has done one to show you how (not via internet), and (d) you have a will.

Unpacked canopy jumps are silly, dangerous and only mildly amusing. If you want to do one, be sure you know what you are getting into.

Do as Tom says, not as he does! :D:D

As usual, he speaks true - these unpacked games will result in fatalities sooner rather than later. No reason to hate them, but also understand that they are a dangerous game - as is all of BASE.

For me, I'd not consider tards off hard objects until I see much, much more data on heading performace. So far, they seem to be great - even an idiotic old Dog like me won't bet my life to that tiny data set just yet.

On low jumps, it's all about heading when it comes to injuries and hospital time, or walking away clean. Folks think of opening height as the driving factor - it isn't. For example, I'd rather freefall an 180 foot object with no object strike risk than static line an 180 foot object (like a certain low dodgy waterfall) with few options for off-headings. This is counter-intuitive for most folks not jumping alot, but I think it is all but axiomatic for folks who have had off-headings in "don't get an off-heading" situations and dealt with the results therefrom. . .

. . . as in, opening a new 134 foot static line and getting a 45 leftie into the riprap, resulting in a badly broken heel that still (a year later) causes persistent pain and other problems.

If there was 0% chance of off-headings in BASE, there'd be about 10 times more low objects that were safely jump-able. Even a 5% chance of an off-heading makes many jumps turn from interesting to Russian Roulette. And, as we all know from The Deer Hunter, over time nobody wins in Russian Roulette. . .

Peace,

D-d0g
[email protected]
www.wrinko.com
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

Unpacked canopy jumps are silly, dangerous and only mildly amusing. If you want to do one, be sure you know what you are getting into.

To be honest when first getting into BASE (as I am - only 7 months in the sport) I would hope that just basic no frills jumps (if there is such a thing in BASE) still scare the shit out of you (as they do with me) with out adding complications like McC or Tards etc (I heard it was called a tard by some outstanding tracking Aussie cause you must be slightly Retarded to do them?!?!?! :P:P)

Be Safe............. dont be a retard.........
:P

>>I've seen photos of a disturbed Canadian tarding from 110 feet,

DISTURBED???

You just can't handle my flappy head and beady eyes :S

TARD: generally not considered among old timers to be a BASE jump. By defintion, the canopy must be in restricted to a container. This was done since some of the original jumpers did pull offs using rounds off of towers.

Alan Hetherington did a number of static line jumps from single digit buildings. In other words, 9 stories. My question, what is possible over dirt? I have an option of jumping a 90 foot statue over dirt and think I can make the controlled crash. But I have little knowledge of this regime. Any help would be appreciated.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Just a thought....Should we end this low altitude talk on this particular forum. Someone may believe this stuff is generally workable and get hurt or worse B|

[email protected]

Then if someone has information on super-low jumps, please send it to me directly at [email protected]

Honestly though, if someone believes something off a forum and it doesn't make complete sense to them, and if they jump and die based on such info, then that may be the luck of the draw or just their own stupidity at work.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=7&topic_id=7116&mesg_id=7116&page=68

http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=7167&mesg_id=7167&page=68

These are just 2 of around 200 I found on BLiNC as I have been doing some rearranging.
Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."