kallend

Grids, newer grids, and newest grids

WickedWingsuits

******Grids... well, I just read the weird FAI rule that states:

For formations larger than 40, a certain number of persons, as indicated in Table 1 below, may have part of their body, equipment or wingsuit visible across the line of their flying space.
http://www.dfv.aero/downloads/WS-LFD-2015.pdf

Up to 25% of the people not flying in their slot. Thats so ridiculous...
I thought that not crossing that virtual line was the challenge, and part of the skill and fun. :-/

I guess I don't understand how that is in any way an improvement over the grid that had a bit of overlap for all flyers. It just seems to be a way to reset records and start everything over again.

It in no way addresses the real issues. The allowed "slop" just papers over the problems.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I know you where not a fan. But I thought that the grid was a nice idea: Everyone flying in their slot.

But I was wrong to assume that was the case. I missed the discussion about the aspect that people are allowed to cross the line. so I thought I mention it.
"The 'perfect' parachute jump was thought to be one where the opening shock and touchdown were simultaneous" -Lyle Cameron, ~1965
---
Falling-With-Style.com

kallend

The reason it isn't listed as the record under the current rules has nothing to do with its submission (which was fine) or meeting the criterion (which it does). It is due entirely to political deal making that happened at the 2014 IPC meeting in Vienna, in order to get the rules changed. So 24 wingsuiters were cheated out of a valid national record on account of wingsuit politics.

What happened at the IPC 2014 was a bit surprising, and not entirely favorable for us as wingsuiters. It cleaned up the sub 40 or 50 sized formations, but screwed up anything larger. It just leaves it open for some to promote a "world record" (this time it can be accurate) and make some $. I agree that tolerance and %'s are crazy. I'm not sure why a formation tha is 100% bigger allows for an increased tolerance of 500%. I cannot tell you how much wrong information has been spread and damage that has been caused. Some people just like to get their information from one source.. Like FOX news :S:P

Kallend, As you know, we {Judges} signed off the 2009 25 as the current US OPEN national record a few weeks ago.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Since only 75% of the jumpers in a 100 way need to be in their slot for the jump to be "successful", I say have 75 jumpers nail it, then say it was a 100 way and the 25 missing jumpers just weren't in their slot.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

Since only 75% of the jumpers in a 100 way need to be in their slot for the jump to be "successful", I say have 75 jumpers nail it, then say it was a 100 way and the 25 missing jumpers just weren't in their slot.

Meanwhile on the same load those 25 have just completed a successful 30 way.

monkycndo

:-)

However: For formations larger than 40, a certain number of persons, as indicated in Table 1 below, may have part of their body, equipment or wingsuit visible across the line of their flying space.

"Part of", not "all of".

Buried

The reason it isn't listed as the record under the current rules has nothing to do with its submission (which was fine) or meeting the criterion (which it does). It is due entirely to political deal making that happened at the 2014 IPC meeting in Vienna, in order to get the rules changed. So 24 wingsuiters were cheated out of a valid national record on account of wingsuit politics.

What happened at the IPC 2014 was a bit surprising, and not entirely favorable for us as wingsuiters. It cleaned up the sub 40 or 50 sized formations, but screwed up anything larger. It just leaves it open for some to promote a "world record" (this time it can be accurate) and make some $. I agree that tolerance and %'s are crazy. I'm not sure why a formation tha is 100% bigger allows for an increased tolerance of 500%. I cannot tell you how much wrong information has been spread and damage that has been caused. Some people just like to get their information from one source.. Like FOX news :S:P

Kallend, As you know, we {Judges} signed off the 2009 25 as the current US OPEN national record a few weeks ago.

OK, but still listed as "previous" on the USPA web site.

kallend

***Since only 75% of the jumpers in a 100 way need to be in their slot for the jump to be "successful", I say have 75 jumpers nail it, then say it was a 100 way and the 25 missing jumpers just weren't in their slot.

However: For formations larger than 40, a certain number of persons, as indicated in Table 1 below, may have part of their body, equipment or wingsuit visible across the line of their flying space.

"Part of", not "all of".

Here is something new to me. Go to http://www.fai.org/record-parachuting Search (year) 2015 and (type) G-2 Performance. Note near the top Largest WS Formation without gri.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

dthames

******Since only 75% of the jumpers in a 100 way need to be in their slot for the jump to be "successful", I say have 75 jumpers nail it, then say it was a 100 way and the 25 missing jumpers just weren't in their slot.

"Part of", not "all of".

Here is something new to me. Go to http://www.fai.org/record-parachuting Search (year) 2015 and (type) G-2 Performance. Note near the top Largest WS Formation without gri.

The 33 and 42-ways completed last June in Belgium? Jarno mentioned those already.