chutingstar

Tear Drop Freebag Loop/Closing Loop Questions

I opened up a 1-pin Tear Drop earlier today that seemed a little odd...although it may just be because it's been about 6 months since I've had one in my loft.

The freebag loop was a piece of line fingertrapped inside itself with rubberbands in a larks head knot on each end. The manual isn't extremely clear on the freebag loop, but I believe the freebag loop should be a traditional elastic loop sewn with a zig-zag stitch. Is the rubberband/line loop correct? I think I'm losing my mind...[:/]

Also, the manuals I have don't have a schematic for making a new closing loop and this one is a bit worn. Does anyone have the measurements for the fingertrap and overall length?

Thanks for your help...

Mike
ChutingStar.com

I was taught to reserve pack by TSE, and packed many Teardrops, and I have never heard of, or seen that modification...All teardrops I have seen have the normal safety stow. Was this a Superfly, or Classic Teardrop? When was it made? Contact Chris at TSE He'll sort you out :)

Ru.
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

Wow!
That is a new one!
That is the first time I heard of a safety stow made of anything other than bungee/shock cord.
I have repacked a few Teardrops (1 and 2 pin versions) and they all had safety stows made of bungee cord.
Suggest that you install a new safety stow made of shock cord.

I just got an e-mail back from Chris Thomas...

FYI: The freebag loop is supposed to be the traditional shock cord type. Also, for future reference, the reserve closing loop has a 26" overall length. From washer to start of fingertrap is 2" and the fingertrapped section should be 1.5".

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Copy the closing loop you have there in front of you.

As far as the Safety stow, I don't know.

I could copy the one on there...but there is no guarantee that one was made correctly...I guess I can e-mail TSE.

Mike

I've seen it in print that copying anything that tends to stretch (or shrink) during normal use is improper.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

A loop can be made using common sense. A rigger can take an adjustable loop that's worn and use it as a guide.

Riggers have to deem a product airworthy. Making a loop for a pop top really isn't rocket science so copying one that works, and using a little common sense to account for the possiblity that the knot slipped or the material strecthed is ok.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Sounds like someones rigger was out of reserve closing loops and improvised.
I would not have liked that at all if it was my rig >:(

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Actually it's not the closing loop he was that concerned about, it was the Safety Stow used to close the Reserve freebag.

It can be compared to the first 2 locking stows of a main d-bag. Rather than loops to attach rubberbands to, the Freebag has a channel sewn in between the grommets. A loop of Shock Cord, (bungee cord) is slid through the channel. Each end will pass through the grommets closing the bag, and a bite of line will be placed on each side. (new racers not included)

The strange rubber band set up that was found would work but it's certainly not an approved method, therefor making it unacceptable.

As far as the actual closing loop, it's very possible it was left over from the previous repack or few repacks for that matter.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

A loop can be made using common sense. A rigger can take an adjustable loop that's worn and use it as a guide.

Riggers have to deem a product airworthy. Making a loop for a pop top really isn't rocket science so copying one that works, and using a little common sense to account for the possiblity that the knot slipped or the material strecthed is ok.

Ah, yes, I forgot that a rigger (or anyone) can use his own head in determining how long/short a stretchy thing should be, if there are other indications (in this case, loop tightness). Durr.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

For the record, not only was the safety stow incorrectly made and with the wrong materials, but the closing loop construction was way off. In addition the bridle was not stowed in the manner described by the Thomas Sports Equipment manual.

When in doubt, contact the manufacturer. Obviously the previous rigger didn't take the time to do so...and may have just copied what a previous rigger did, which is not acceptable.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

For the record, not only was the safety stow incorrectly made and with the wrong materials, but the closing loop construction was way off. In addition the bridle was not stowed in the manner described by the Thomas Sports Equipment manual.

When in doubt, contact the manufacturer. Obviously the previous rigger didn't take the time to do so...and may have just copied what a previous rigger did, which is not acceptable.

Mike

Scary. :S

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.