RonRandomguy

AFF Level 5 Cutaway

I am impressed. It takes guts to act in such extremely stressful situations.

My AFF course starts in 2 weeks.

This weekend I spent 25 minutes in wind tunnel.

One thing I now understand better is the importance of:RELAX. But also how important it is to practice procedures on ground if you expect them to go smoothly in the air.

A stable pull of the main was especially harder than anticipated.

@ Divalent: LMAO! You crack me up bro! Of course, I checked out your profile, and it looks like your home DZ is The Farm too....so, wouldn't that also make you a farm animal??? :P

Anyway, I don't think that Andy, or anyone there, would ever lead me wrong, just because of a lack of beer. Everyone of those guys/gals there are freaking awesome! I love being there. Hope to jump with you sometime man, take care.

Life's not permanent, don't take it too seriously! :-)

@ psychoswooper: Now that you mention it, I believe there was a black stripe down the side of it. It also had very large numbers on it, also in black, which indicated the size of the parachute. After posting this, and reading all of the comments, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just freaking blind, and that wasn't the main issue with me finding the handle....hmmm, maybe it's time to go get myself tested for colorblindness, huh?!?! :)
Anyway, thanks for the congrats on my graduating AFF, it feels awesome, and I can't wait to see how far I can go in this sport, it is sooooo much freaking fun. But, I've definitely learned the importance of being safe as well. Thanks for the input, hope you're doing great.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just freaking blind

...or you were stressed. ;) Our brains don't always react in the most helpful way to stressful situations - that's why we drill so much on the ground for situations like this.

In terms of finding your handles, if you're struggling how about starting by just locating your harness webbing? Since it runs all the way from your hip to your shoulder that should be easier - then you can just slide your hand up until it encounters the cutaway pad or reserve handle and it doesn't matter that they're not in their 'normal' vertical position.

@ MikeJD: Thanks bro. The thing about following my harness up, until I reach the handles is definitely good advice. A few of the guys at the DZ told me the exact same thing, and it makes total sense, so I've been making sure to add that to my practice routine. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Take care.