Butters

USPA WSI - Another Option

It appears that no one is discussing the third option. The USPA continuing with the current BSRs and creating an optional WSI course, rating, and corresponding FFC. This will allow experienced wingsuiters to get UPSA rated and teach USPA FFCs, skydivers to choose to take a USPA FFC, and everyone else to continue as is ...

If incidents increase, the WSI course, rating, and corresponding FFC can become mandatory. If the majority of skydivers choose to take USPA FFCs then more experienced wingsuiters will get USPA rated and teach USPA FFCs. If incidents don't increase and skydivers don't choose to take USPA FFCs then everything will continue as is ...

Thoughts?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

why include the rating, why not have USPA continue to compile information about safe wingsuiting (like the BSRs) and come up with a standardized FFC. Then experienced wingsuiters will have a manual that they all agree on that they can teach from.

No need for ratings at all. Let the dropzones decide on a local level who is experienced enough to teach their own skydivers how to wingsuit skydive.

why include the rating, why not have USPA continue to compile information about safe wingsuiting (like the BSRs) and come up with a standardized FFC. Then experienced wingsuiters will have a manual that they all agree on that they can teach from.

Experienced wingsuiters would be able to teach a FFC using the manual but a rating allows skydivers to know that the wingsuiter has passed a course testing their ability to teach (and fly) a FFC.

No need for ratings at all. Let the dropzones decide on a local level who is experienced enough to teach their own skydivers how to wingsuit skydive.

Why not have both? This allows skydivers to decide if a USPA rated WSI is important to them and their FFC ...

Experienced wingsuiters would be able to teach a FFC using the manual but a rating allows skydivers to know that the wingsuiter has passed a course testing their ability to teach (and fly) a FFC.

Why not have both? This allows skydivers to decide if a USPA rated WSI is important to them and their FFC ...

The same way you can't teach AFF on a USPA member dropzone while not being a USPA AFF rated instructor.

Or can you? Would USPA be okay with it?

The same way you can't teach AFF on a USPA member dropzone while not being a USPA AFF rated instructor.

Or can you? Would USPA be okay with it?

Questions I don't have answers for.

It appears that no one is discussing the third option. The USPA continuing with the current BSRs and creating an optional WSI course, rating, and corresponding FFC. This will allow experienced wingsuiters to get UPSA rated and teach USPA FFCs, skydivers to choose to take a USPA FFC, and everyone else to continue as is ...

If incidents increase, the WSI course, rating, and corresponding FFC can become mandatory. If the majority of skydivers choose to take USPA FFCs then more experienced wingsuiters will get USPA rated and teach USPA FFCs. If incidents don't increase and skydivers don't choose to take USPA FFCs then everything will continue as is ...

Thoughts?

First, I am not oppossed to seeing increased USPA involvement with wingsuit training. I also think you raise an important point; There are other options besides either having a mandatory USPA WSI/FFC or not.

In most circumstances the first approach USPA should take is to educate, rather than regulate. There are other avenues that could be used to improve training and spread wingsuit knowledge besides mandatory ratings...just as you suggest. I would like to see USPA consider all options before making a final decision.

I've been teaching people to fly wingsuits since 1999. I've been teaching instructors how to instruct people to teach people to fly wingsuits since 2001. If/when this passes, then I am going to be one of the I/E's. If it does not, then I will continue to march as I have been since 1999. Nothing changes for me.