DSE

FFC Deployment Altitude

I get them to pull at 5000' on their first jump, after that I tell them to bring it down when they feel comfortable to do so. Wingsuit students are not novice skydivers and should be allowed to decide for themselves once they've demonstrated a good first flight & deployment.

Wingsuit students are not novice skydivers and should be allowed to decide for themselves once they've demonstrated a good first flight & deployment.

True, but they are also given the keys to get into everybody else's airspace if they're not careful. Having them open at 5000 isn't just good for the student, so he can have lots of time to handle opening and equipement the first time on, it's also good for everybody else as it can minimize the consequences of bad navigation. I ask them not to pull lower until they've showned good awareness of the flight pattern and an ability to adhere to it. In practice, unless I see something I don't like, I let them lower the opening at their own pace after their 3rd jump or so.