Magick

Riser length

perfect length is when the riser goes up to the lines :P:P
but the other reply you got is much more serious and full of sense.
I prefer short risers, so I can play with my lines:)
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

But, the riser length in relation to the container size needs to be considered. Too short of risers and the links are in the riser covers. Depending on the design of the riser covers and the kind of links this may work ok or may lead to potential floating risers (one or both risers that are behind your back out of the covers/keepers before deployment). Too long of risers and you may not be able to reach your slider, links, TOGGLES, and may increase probability of intanglement with the bag if you have to much "stuff" in the bottom of the container (although I can't think of a case where this has happened.)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

to do things that are NOT RECOMMENDED, but which I learned when I was flying paragliders... Pull lines and see how the canopy reacts/collapses. And the get out of the bad situation.
*** THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO TRY***
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Long risers gives you the possibility of a longer toggle stroke thus deeper brakes. This can be an advantage for those having problems with getting max out of their flare. Like on safires e.c. steering lines are rather long to prevent tail inflection. The same as most icarus by the way.

Could someone comment if I'm on thin ice here? This is what i've heard though.

:)Are the risers compatible with the container, ie. the sidewalls and main packtray? Can you reach your toggles? Can you reach the drawstring of your slider?
How long are your arms? Somewhere, there is a proper riser length. Most mfg's will supply 18" to 22"
long risers, but will accommodate special requests
within reason and functionality.
As for the amount of flare that risers will afford you, the longest riser set-up that still allows you to comfortably collapse your slider and is compatible with your container would be optimal. If you control lines are excessively long, ie. detuned, you can always forshorten the brake to toggle length. The lower control line, from the cascade to the brake setting, should remain at the mfg's spec, since it affects deployment characteristics. As Vectran and Technora don't shrink, you'll end up replacing them as wear and tear dictates, but Spectra can shrink an appreciable amount and you may want to replace your control lines once or twice before a complete lineset replacement. Should you forshorten your brake to toggle segments in order to increase responsiveness and change the flare characteristics of your canopy, keep the shrinking properties of Spectra in mind. Always do some tests in the air and know your canopy before you change the length of your control lines.
This reply drifted a bit, but remember that changing one component may affect other components or parameters and their characteristics.;)
Ziggy