ScratchTX

Types of toggles

I just got my new canopy in :>) :>) :>) and I want to replace my toggles. They are the simple flat style, are in good shape but old and floppy. Hard to get my hands back in if I've let go of them to do something. I want something in between what I have and CRW toggles -- I've looked around and the best I've seen is from Jumpshack at http://www.jumpshack.com/webcatalog/default.asp?ProductID=162&SectionID=PART&CategoryID=39 (I have a Racer, too.)

Any suggestions for other sources to check out? Other styles that make it a little easier to re-grab, but still pack flat and small like regular freefall toggles? Anything to watch out for other than pack volume/stiffness? I'm staying with velcro for now, but it seems most toggles are available either way, so I don't think that matters.

--Scratch

One relatively simple fix is to fold the "floppy" part of your toggle (the non-velcro part) in half along the long axis, then sew it in place. This little bit of rigidity helps give the toggle some constitution, so when you try to slip your hands in there is something to actually push against.

Quick, easy, and it can be removed if you don't like it!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Just one (obvious) point...make sure that the toggles you get are compatible with your risers, which should be made by your container manufacturer. First port of call should be them...

Hey, nothing wrong with pointing out what seems to be obvious! That is why I started with Jumpshack, since I have a Racer (and also, I like theirs the best so far). But to be honest, I wasn't sure if toggles can even be mixed and matched at all or not -- Does each manufacturer/rig have their own unique custom riser/toggle configuration? Or are there just a few basic designs that are used by different manufacturers? With velcro in particular, it seems that there isn't a whole lot of variation in how the toggle could be stowed. But I haven't jumped/packed enough other rigs besides mine to know.

Don't call me a mirage fan, everybody already knows i am ;)

But have you checked their toggles. they are perfect until someone invents something better. but you'll probably need their riser too, to put the toggles on them :S...
anyway if you ask me i thing they are worth the money.

Mirage toggles (on the bottom of the page)
Mirage risers
"George just lucky i guess!"

Does each manufacturer/rig have their own unique custom riser/toggle configuration?

As most rigs are the same basic design, a lot of people get away with mixing and matching containers, risers and toggles...but...strictly speaking, you should only ever use toggles and risers specifically made for your container by your manufacturer.
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies