pchapman

ParaCommander Birdman (wingsuits & round canopies)

For a little fun on the weekend I tried out the combination of my ParaCommander with my Birdman GTi. The PC was in an early 80's piggyback sport rig. Anyone else tried out a wingsuit with a round canopy?

Pros:
Little worry about line twists; the long accuracy rig put the BOC handle down low for an easy pull; and one can fly oneself to the desired opening point.

Cons:
It's a round!

The opening was good, with no more force than a regular terminal PC jump. One old timer had been worried that opening shock might be higher than normal but I figured the total velocity would be OK. The swing after opening was not an issue and felt a lot more damped & slower than on a square.

The round & wingsuit combination has been done before, but the only dz.com reference I could find was by Skyflyer on Oct 29, 2002:

Regarding the round and wingsuit, I saw Bill Stampfle (sp.) wing-it from Smellvegan in Norway last year and land in the water with a round. Good opening and great jump.

Attached: A photo of final approach, and vidcaps from an unfortunately out-of-focus ground video of the opening.

Having mis-estimated how much the evening winds had died down, I just made it back to the DZ, putting it down in the parking lot. And being under a "slow" canopy I hadn't bothered to unzip my legs after popping the booties off, so I ended up tripping and falling on my face on landing.