mrken

Etrex Summit + Tracking Derby Noob

Hello,

I am a newer jumper (recently got B license) that wanted to focus on improving my tracking skills and wanted to see if my distance covered is improving. I have an old Garmin Etrex Summit from my hiking days that I wanted to use for tracking derby (as I am too poor right now to buy a foretrex, blew all my $$$ on AFF/Coaching). So I searched here on the forums for "etrex summit" and quickly learned that firmware updates were available for my unit. I went and installed those updates with no problem. I think modified the belt clip case that I purchased with the unit by removing the belt clip and stitching on a thick cordura band in its place so that I could easily attach the unit to my chest strap. Unfortunately there are some issues I am still fuzzy on and also was not able to obtain a signal in the plane or during the course of the jump [Looked down at the unit under canopy to see "Please Wait....Tracking Satellites :( ]. Since I am tracking I was seated to go out last, within view of the cockpit and also next to a small window.

So first....when exactly should I turn the unit on? Before I got on the plane or when I am close to altitude?

Secondly, the Etrex Summit has a similar but not identical feature set of the ForeTrex; mainly I cannot identify how to actually record a track from a specific/time or point. It seems to just always be recording, whereas on the ForeTrex it seems that you can actually set it to a RECORD mode. So I am concerned with it recording unecessary parts, like the plane's climb to altitude. Can this unit be used successfully for tracking? Otherwise i'm thinking about ebaying it at a loss to just cover the cost of a ForeTrex 101 (I no longer hike/geocache anyway).

However if anyone here can offer any help/advice to getting the most out of my Summit; it would save me a headache and possible loss of $$$.

Thanks,

Ken

Chest strap and wrist are not the most ideal places to mount the GPS.

Avoid chest strap.

Wrist is better but there are better places to mount a GPS. Look at this page

http://www.flybirdman.com/projects/flytrack.html

for probably the best place to mount a GPS. I mount mine on the helmet.

The recomendation(with the units that you are talking about) seems to be to start just before exit but make sure you have got a good fix on the day you want to log on the ground(so that when you turn it on in the airplane just before exit, it is a warm restart).

Kris.

Ken, the unit you have will do fine. However, there are a few things you must do prior to boarding the A/C. The most important one is turning the unit on, on the ground and allowing it to acquire satellites, the more the better but 4 will suffice. I have had good results with that same GPS receiver mounted on my chest strap (see links below)A search of the forums using "GPS" will give you a good deal of reading and advice. Check out these for starters.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=879677;search_string=gps%20mounting;#879677

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=870397;search_string=gps%20mounting;#870397

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2270527;search_string=gps%20mounting;#2270527

I'm in Eloy now, so if you can make it to the DZ during the week I'd be glad to help you out.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Okay so I was able to at least get a signal and record the canopy portion of my jump this time (progess!) But still didn't get the freefall portion :(

Also Im thinking about fashioning a leather/nylon wrist strap and mounting the unit to my wrist instead; though it will be a bit bulky. I hope this will work better.