lurch

philippines

*sound of crickets chirping....*
Hello?
(looks around empty field, hears crickets)
Anybody home?
(crickets)
No birdmen at all?
(more crickets)
Damn.
(addresses the oblivious crickets)
Well if nobodys ever flown Birdman in the philippines the I suppose I'll go do it myself. Somebody ought to handle it.
(Checks watch, addresses crickets)
I'll get back to you guys in about 4 weeks let you know how it all worked out. Keep chirping, huh?
(Crickets...)
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Yea, good luck with that, let us know how it goes. We expect a full report with pics or video within 1 week from your return. ;)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Update:
I came.
I checked out their volcano on the way up. Nice volcano. Only steaming a little.
I flew. First birdman flight in Philippine history. They thought it was pretty cool.
I owe beer.
Story soon. Must organize the pics video and my notes. Its been quite the Indiana Jones experience... I even got the hat.
-B

I didn't know there was a whole steaming volcano in the deal. It woulda been cool to have some ground video of you flying smoke with the steaming volcano in the background. Then you land and there's a huge crowd cheering you on. Hey, did you get chased by any huge boulders by any chance?? ;)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Well it was only steaming a little, like small cloud o'vapor coming up off one small point on the wall at the inside edge of the crater. Most of the crater is filled with oddly bright green water and quite calm. Pinatubo. As for the crowd, there was just my Dad and a local girl and a couple flying students nearby in this cantina near the runway. Thats all the cheering crowd I need. Very quiet place, Omni aviation school, Clark airbase.
Hell of an adventure, cheering crowds or no.
And no, didn't get chased by any boulders, but I kept a lookout for em anyway... You never know, you could turn a corner and there it is, giant rolling boulder jumps out at you like a 20-ton mineral ninja....

Not a dropzone as we would recognize it, no... There used to be a jumping scene there apparently as part of the Omni aviation school but one way or another pretty much everyone left. The only semiactive jumper I met there was a guy name of Bob Laplante who was attracted to the airport by the sound of my canopy opening, and he got sick next day so I never got to jump with him.
Cool place, though.