nathaniel

improving exits

sitting at home and watching the snow, wishing it was warm and I was jumping...
I started wondering just now, do you think there is a way to modify our gear or our technique to make group exits closer and faster. I was first out on a lot of loads in at the Puerto Rico--as an overall floaty fellow this wasn't a problem for me. But I was struck by the distance that the plane travels in the time it took between my exit and the last person on the flock exiting.
There are some guidelines that are easy to think of:
* fly the flock up the jumprun until the last member of the flock is out, to cut the plane's velocity by what you can keep of the exit speed
* try to reduce timing between jumpers exiting in pairs (skyvan/casa) or solo (side door planes)
* put the floaty birds and birds with big suits out first, heavy/smaller suits out last
* first birds out should exit as maxed out as they can (while maintaining safe distance from any tail-wing if the tail wing is an issue)
* last birds out should sink out their exits & dive...maybe even facing backwards on a large flock
etc
What do you think about linked exits...is there any technique or gear mod such as grippers that could make linked exits or partially linked exits possible? A flock larger than 3 or 4 probably couldn't link up in the plane in their flight line...but maybe pairs or triplets could still go out linked...
Just fishing for ideas here...
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

You haven't really offered anything that most of us don't already commonly practice. If you are getting your flocks all strung out, it's generally due to two factors:

-people dragging ass on exits. Taking WAY too much between jumpers.
-not having enough people outside the plane on side-door-equipped plane exits.
-first people out making their first turn before the last man exits when exiting from a "standard" jumprun with a box flight pattern.

Chuck

How nice would it be if your flock was already built while you were still on the hill, like a good 4-way team... If a 12-way could be launched as 3 successive 4-ways and flown together within 1000 ft of descent...

Do you think it's just training & practice that we're not doing it today with wingsuits? Or is there some technique that could be added or changed? I don't know what...just thinking aloud.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?