edid

Need the lowdown on the slowdown.

I have 15 or so jumps on my Gti now but I'm damned if I can get my butt below 60mph. I did a 62 average (TAS; pro-track helmet mounted) on my 3rd jump but try as I might I haven't managed to beat that on any further jumps. Incidently, do wingsuit flyers use SAS or TAS? As a freeflyer and tracker I'm no slouch and have good air sense but I must be missing something. Also, I'm 5'11" and only 75Kg (165lbs) so I'm no anvil either. I've tried every combination of arm and leg position I can think of. My suit is definately a bit big for me but as I understand it from Jari this should only have the effect of increasing suit inflation and thus lift. However, could it being too big around the shoulders mean that I am not able to pull the arm wing into the correct poistion? A tuck and stitch of the excess material along the the shoulder perhaps? Or would that be deleterious to the suit? There's only about 3 wingsuits around our DZ (apparently) and I've only ever seen one. And he's not much more experienced than me so I don't have the opportunity of flying with an expert. Any knowledge, tips or tricks appreciated.

if you can you describe your flying position maybe we can make some pointers?

dan<><>

Exactly. My guess is that you are not rolling your elbows forward sufficiently, but I could not say for sure without watching you jump. Perhaps you could get another wingsuit flier to video you and then post it to skydivingmovies.

Chuck

do wingsuit flyers use SAS or TAS

TAS, usually.

My suit is definately a bit big for me but as I understand it from Jari this should only have the effect of increasing suit inflation and thus lift. However, could it being too big around the shoulders mean that I am not able to pull the arm wing into the correct poistion?

I agree with Jari on this one. My suit came in a little big on the shoulders, but I found that it was done intentionally. Whenever I hit the "sweet spot", I can feel and the the suit inflate around the shoulders, down to the bend in my arm, and down my back to the rig.

I'm don't have the experience (about 30 WS jumps) to give specific body position advice, but I can say that I've found that "sweet spot" through very slow, smooth experimentation. I can get in the body position that works for me and not feel myself take off right away. It takes a few seconds to really get going. Looking at my charts, I find that it takes about three seconds each time I've been able to drop to and sustain a low speed (40s).

MB]