BillyVance

Ripped canopy... oops!

My buddy and I were trying a 2 stack for his first crw jump. I have two Triathlons, a 120 that I normally jump, and a 150 that I put my buddy under. We both came out to almost the same wingloading, about 1.5:1. However, just as he got close enough for me to grab the nose of the 150 with my hands, my 120 and the 150 tried going in separate directions and I held on too hard... RIIIIIPPP!! Oh fuck... I let go and look back. Crap... I tore the vertical rib off the top of the nose on the center cell, which was a gaping hole compared to the other cells. My buddy didn't seem aware of what had just transpired so I signed to him (we're both deaf) "I tore the canopy!" He looks up then back to me, and I then signed "you do canopy control check!" Then he proceeded to do several flares without any obvious problems. Things seemed okay for now, but the crw portion of the jump was over, time to focus on landing it safely. He came in nice and easy, didn't try to stand it up, just slid in a bit, no problems.

He still wants to do some more crw, but I think we're better off doing them under Lightnings. Only problem is, there is no way in hell he's gonna be able to jam a Lightning 176 in a Mirage G3 rig that's sized for a 120. The Tri 150 was a tight fit. He does not want to risk any damage to his rig. That is mainly the reason why I bought a used rig that would handle a Lightning 143 easily so I wouldn't put my primary rig at risk of further damage after 10 jumps on it with a 143 a couple years ago. He doesn't really want to pursue crw seriously, but still wants to experience it somewhat, get in some 4 stacks and do a downplane, etc. so I figure he's gonna have to borrow a rig for that.

Any comments/ideas?

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My solution has been two containers. I started with RW and didn't start doing CRW until I had 500 jumps. I bought a new container after about 400 (RW) jumps and kept the original one -- it was an old used Eclipse I bought when I had 20 jumps. I would have sold it, but being rather large and obsolete, I wouldn't have gotten much out of it. It had a Triathalon 220 in it when I bought it -- great for a beginner, also great for the sort of bagless packing I do for CRW.

I don't think I could fit my CRW canopy in my RW rig if I tried. So yeah, something borrowed or used and cheap.

Funny thing though. I've got this brand new fancy rig for RW. I can't remember the last time I jumped it. The reserve is 2 months out of date, and I'm having the time of my life jumping the ratty old container I bought years ago just off student status...
CRW Diva #9
D-25905

Buy an extension container. You attach it to your main container and it has a bottom, two side flaps, and a botton flap which joins onto the top flap.

Be careful with neatness.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I've got an old beater rig that I use for CRW jumps... I can put just about any canopy into it and I can keep my round reserve (I still prefer those for CRW--I'm an old-school Dog). Besides, my old rig is good luck... It is the one I wore to the Nationals in 1984 and 1986 and took first place both times! This rig was also worn by Brand Duncan in 1979? when Tesseract won 4 way... so this rig is just full of good karma... my point is.. get yourself a cheap, old, safe, comfortable rig-- ebay's a good resource.
That's my advice...

"maggott"

PS... My good ear went dead today! Then it came back... but that's how my other ear acted when I started losing my hearing there... (my good ear isn't all that good anyway)... So who knows? Soon I may be a real deaf skydiver (thank God for ASL!!!!) PAH!
~Maggott
__________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"