tosca

pull out/throw away

The pros and cons are only of individual taste or habit, one might surmise.........

Your CRW canopy may very well have a retractable bridle with a pilot chute attached on the end......

The Javelin you currently use may have storage for the folded pilot chute either on the legstrap or bottom of container.....

What you find comfortable is probably the best for you.........As the idea is to get the pc into the air on command thus deploying the canopy on your call, not by luck or chance.

If you have no other way open to you, to see how many container makers option their systems as far as pilotchute stowage is concerned, I suggest you contact the makers directly and ask them to fax you a photocopy of their current options. This in itself may make you very much more aware of how containers really work. Upon completion of this exercise, you might consider having your javelin or other container altered to suit your new found knowledge.

Best of luck with your quest for knowledge, perhaps you will become a mentor to another that follows you.........

Cheers once again.........;)

CRWBUDDHA

Most of the competitionjumpers jump with a pull-out.They prefer it because the pack is open and they have a lesser chance to have a pilotchutehesitation.
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

You got the pilot chute in the spandex pocket, just like normal, but of course the pilot line must be short enough and the pilot must be folded the right way.

Instead of a pud to pull the sprint (as on a normal pull-out) you pull the sprint by taking out the pilot chute and thereby pulling the pilot line on which the sprint is.

When you have pulled the sprint you throw the pilot chute (as on a normal throw-away, but the container is already open).

I've been using one of these since mid-2000 and love it. Works like a pullout, packs like a BOC. I've not heard it called a Russian-style - I got mine from Scott Chew of the Wild Humans rotation team.

Here's a pic. Note that the handle is sewn inside the PC and "floats" once deployed. Also note the location of the pin relative to the pilot chute end of the bridle. It is important that only the fabric (purple) contact the spandex pocket (mesh inside) to prevent a hard pull.

Bob

P5270001.jpg

Why wouldn't you put the handle at the apex of the PC (conventional location) with the bridle line running through the PC cavity to the underside of the handle (like a kill line) as well as to the bottom of the PC? Seems as though this would simplify packing and removal from pocket, and still have a direct pull on the main container pin at the time of deployment?

The distance from the handle to the pin is roughly 18". It can't be much longer because the pin has to be pulled before full arm extension. Putting the handle at the apex forces the pin to be very close (a couple of inches) to the bridle/PC attachment point. That isn't possible, however, because the distance from the spandex pocket to the closing loop is greater.

Bob