apoil

Suunto Altimeter Watch

Question for folks using suunto watches as altimeters.

The new "observer" model is pretty stylish, and I'm thinking about getting one.

User replaceable batteries are a plus however it they claim about 12months of battery life, but significantly less if you use the altimeter function.

What kind of battery life are you guys getting?

The Watch is not recommended for skydiving but does have a log book feature to keep track of "ski runs". I'm assuming a skydive would look very similar, and it might make a nice backup to see just how many dives I've done in a day. Has that feature been working well for those of you using it?

Thanks for any info.

I'm using the Vector and the battery run out after 230 jumps, but you know how long this watches lying around in the store.

Never used the logbook.
Only bad thing is that sometimes you switch the mode by bending you hand backwards. Calculating your alti by the airpressure is not very easy, especially in freefall.

blues
Marcus

I've got an Altimax. I use the altimeter and logbook fonctions often all day in mountain for approx 100 days/year.
The battery life is about 2 years.

I try once to skydive in a protek. I set the altitude alarm to 4000 ft and it sounds when i was under my canopy at 2500 ft...:o
The instructions manual says that it refreshs (takes measure) altitude up to 10s.

In logbook mode it'll be mini 20s, that why i doubt you coul have an accurate fall rate if you stop it under canopy.

About the "ski runs" I think you 'll have to reach exactly the same altitude to count a lap, like with a chair lift which "did not move" too much.

The only advantage i can see is, maybe, under canopy to have an accurate altimeter (15ft).

To see how many dives you have done, for the same price buy a (2nd?) pro-track.