doublespock

Fill a slot on a VRW 4way Team?

So, who is up for some VRW 4way? Who is looking to give it a try or even take it to Nationals? I’m looking for help forming a team. This is the first year that it’s a medal event at nationals. There were 9 teams participating in the test event at 2006 Nationals. It’s been hard to find teammates. During 2006, I learned the dive pool and did some training dives with the help of Dave Brown from Team Mandrin. The VRW 4way team Dave is a part of has been a major factor in the launch of VRW 4way. I was asked to fill a slot on a Team CK5 at Nationals 2006. That little bit of training really paid off.

This stuff is cool! At first it’s a little, whoa, but you get used to it after a few jumps. Im looking for potential teammates. Who wants to fly? Team Mandrin will be training at Jumptown in Orange, MA this season. The members of Team Mandrin are Dave Brown, Kyle Stark, Mike Wittenburg, Jon Pinyon, and Brian Buckland. I plan to be there during most of their training camps. Jumptown is my home DZ. There is tunnel time they want to share too on some of the nights of the camps. SVNH is not too far from the DZ for night flying sessions. Team Mandrin has already booked time are encouraging others to get in on it and its open to all. These guys are real cool and very approachable. They really want to promote VRW so Im sure they will pass on some tips. The opportunity will be there to learn from some pioneers. I know I’ll be watching them closely.

At minimum, I plan to go to nationals and get on a pick up team for VRW 4way. I will even fly the camera slot if needed. I don’t have to make 200 jumps with the same team to have fun. Any experience gets you closer. Is there anyone out there interested in a light training schedule and being part of a team? I have 3 Flyers lined up and we’re looking for 1 more plus outside video.

Team Mandrins’ training schedule has been posted on the Jumptown website and the tunnel times to share are posted as well. I have a lot of info to share to those who are interested. You can PM me or contact me at [email protected]. Feel free to pass this on to anyone who may be interested.

PJ Jackson

Hey PJ,
I know we've chatted about this before. I'm very suprised at how much trouble I've had trying to put together a team. I would really like to make a few training jumps and take a team to nationals. I know plenty of qualified people but none of them seem excited enough about it to be as serious as I would like to be.

I wish I could afford to travel to the northeast, I'd love to train with you, but that just isn't feasible. Maybe I'll fill a slot for someone or get a pickup team together. We'll see when we get there.

Question for everybody else, where is all the interest in 4 way VRW? I hear a lot of talk about how cool it is and how excited they are but I just don't see people serious about competing. Is anyone on here planning on competing at Nationals? Open or Intermediate?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Check this out. You dont always have to come to New England. Its doubtfull that all members will be located in the same area. Jumps are jumps. We may have to do some camps at other DZ's that require travel. If you travel to a DZ where a team member has hook ups like places to stay and airport rides, it can be doable.

You can make anything happen if you really want it to. im pretty sure Jeremy is on with me and we got this bad ass flyer named Sara C. Why dont you try to come out for one camp and make 20 jumps with us.

PJ

We had a very hard time putting our Team together. And since two of us are currently injured (knee surgery and femur break), we have found one alternate but not two.

There are allot of talented Freeflyers in the Carolina's but the commitment level to join a team is very high. It's tough to get 5-6 folks together who have the same goals and attitudes, and who all get along.

We were lucky with the attitude part of it. That's what we built the Team around, over skill level. It's very important to all get along and gel with each other.

The other thing we found........Is that allot of very good freeflyers lack the confidence to do VRW. Let's face it.........it's harder and much more challenging than 2 Way, for the most part. And you need 4 folks to all be on par. Allot of very good Freeflyers don't want to have to start over, or not look so good.

It's tuff but worth it. If I wasn't on this team, I wouldn't be chllenging myself. I'd probably stop jumping. It's renewed my passion for the sport.

Harry P
Team Wicked Liquid

Ive had some positive responses and have filled some slots already. I still have a need for a video flyer and some flyers to fill the last slot and possibly a backup.

Here's the deal! I have scheduled a 4way VRW day at Jumptown May 11-13th. Ive already invited a few people to come tryout for a team. Its open to anyone interested and maybe more than one team can form.

May 11th - 13th is 4way VRW weekend at Jumptown in Orange, MA. Any freeflyer interested should come check it out even if you feel your skill level isnt there yet. Simply being exposed to 4way VRW will bring you one step closer.

Jumptown has an otter that we jump Friday - Sunday. A brand new hanger and facilities is just the start when we talk about this DZ. Ask a friend about Jumptown.

PJ

i am a camera flyer and will be in town on sunday for sure all day.. if you want a camera flyer for your tryouts i will be there. i jump out of santa barbara normally otherwise i would love to film for you for nationals.
dont let life pass you by