atmojunkie

Transitions

I've just got to grips with my freeflying basics (back flying and a solid sit/stand) and want to start some jumps trasitioning between positions including flat flying. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some cool routines they've tried with turn and loops in etc...

Your best bet is to practice the ff-1 dive. I.e exit into a sit, 360's left and right, 360 transition. To stand, 360's in both direction then 360 transition back to sit and start again. Do that as many times as you can. An important point is to do regular alti checks, i.e between each move as if you have been doing alot of bellyflying your internal clock is all wrong.

Most improtant think to do with FF'ing is get some good coaching. Money spent on a coach early on will cost far less than it will 40 jumps down the line when you have picked up bad habits.

All the best,
Fex

Warwick University Skydiving Club

Here’s a short recipe using the vRW Stable and tricky transitions to practice your upright-downright skills:
Moving To and From the Vertical
Freeflyers are universally judged on their ability to quickly become cleanly head-up or head-down, from any mode or position. This makes your transitions from head-up to head-down and head-down to head-up very important. These abrupt changes are a measure of competence, especially if performed with no change in relative altitude. The position most freeflyers use to accomplish these transitions is the vRW Stable.
Every skydiver who is doing any sort of vRW move has adopted a neutral starting position for either recovering from a mistake or for transitioning into a different mode. For example, if while sit-flying or doing a stand-up and we want to invert to head-down, most of us will snap into the vRW Stable, do a one-half cartwheel to the side, and boogie down.
So, imagine this: you are head-down vertical and your skymate falls “up” on you—zoom! Like a shot, they are 50-100 feet up there! You can transition to the on-your-back recovery position (hug the beach ball to your back, and push down) best by passing through the vRW Stable first. So doing avoids the wild horizontal throw you might otherwise get. Just hit the vRW Stable, flop back, and stretch out into the belly-up back-fly recovery, explained in Chapter 5, Advanced Techniques.
The vRW Stable is also a fine way to recover from falling over. When you are vertical, it is way too easy to tip over into a flat position and cork. Tipping over is bad not only because it looks funky, but in the blink of an eye, your rate of fall is slowed by about 50-60 mph. Bingo, you are up and out of the picture! However, snapping into the vRW Stable quickly, before the wind can cork you to a high place, will save you. Being quick about using this position is the key to maintaining proximity to your mates!
I gots pictures, too.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,