WrongWay

"Fake rig" for tunnel?

For all you tunnel rats out there....;)

Do you think wearing a "fake" rig, something of similar shape and size of a skydive rig but just stuffed with foam or something similar, would be better for training in the tunnel? I think it would create a more realistic feel and better airflow to take freefly skills from the tunnel into the sky, but I could be wrong. Thoughts???

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I've seen people in there with "fake rigs" on, mostly AFF students so they can do practice pulls. Personally I wouldn't want to fly in there with one because I'd rather fly my body (and my suit...) I like being aware of the wind of my back when I'm in the tunnel.

There are different ways of freeflying in the tunnel - you can fly for the tunnel or you can use it as a tool for training your air flying. I do both but am more leaning towards the latter.

The way that I sit fly in the tunnel is exactly the same way I sit fly in the air. The only difference between my HD flying in and out of the tunnel is that I huse a much bigger (slower) body position in the tunnel but the way I do everything is the same.

I personally feel that it's better to fly in there without a rig so you can learn to fly with every part of your body. Depending how you approach tunnel flying there is very little difference between the way you fly in and out of the tunnel.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I think the training of your flying skills will translate even though you don't have a rig on in the tunnel. I know my sit flying in the tunnel is slightly different than with a rig on, but you body learns balance and adaptability (how your body affects/affected by the wind), not 'this position' or 'that position'.

j