Smommer

first rig

hi, ive just got my a-license and am looking at buying my first rig, i have 31 jumps, all on student kit, ranging from 280 to 220 and weigh 13.5 stone

i have been told to go for something like a sabre 170. i havent jumped anything other than student kit yet as weather has been really calm and i am reluctant to land for the first time on a smaller canopy in nil wind. does this coice of canopy sound about right for a beginner?

also does anyone have any advice on canopy control on this type of kit for first timers coming off student kit. i am told it is significantly different from flying student canopies.

smommer

If you weigh 13.5 stone you're probably getting on for 210 lbs kitted up. That gives you a wing loading of 1.2 on a 170, lots of people would argue that that's too high for a first canopy and that you should think bigger.

I made a fair few mistakes on my first canopy, a Spectre 150 loaded at 1.2, and I'm glad it wasn't any smaller.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Above all else, ASK YOUR INSTRUCTORS.

But one thing I can say, is that whatever you do, don't change from a 220 to a 170 all at once. If you've been jumping a 220 student canopy (and are comforable with it), put a good number of jumps on a 210 ZP canopy, and don't downsize again until you're very comfortable with the current size. Only downsize one size at a time!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com