Zlew

Testing FOV changes with Steadyshot settings-

Hey folks. I bet this is one of those posts that not many people will ever really need to know about, but here it goes anyway!

One of my CX150's reset to factory defaults, and when getting it ready for this weekend I noticed the field of view (FOV) seemed zoomed in. I went back and reset all the custom settings I use, and found it reset to "active" steadyshot. When I changed it back to standard, the FOV seemed fine. I then had a face-palm moment when I realized that it made sense that the higher electronic stability control settings would have a tighter FOV. After all, if you "stabilize" the footage in Vegas (or even on youtube) you will know it pretty significantly zooms or crops in order to get the wiggle room to stabilize the image. You guys probably already realized this, but i am a little slow.

So I thought I'd test it out to see how significant the differences were, and I was happy to find I could change the settings while recording. The specs are in the video also, but the Cliff's notes-

Tested CX 150 with .55x century, Sony .8x, and no lens set full wide angle.
First setup was 11 feet away (4way distance give or take for me), room is 10 feet wide, 5 feet from the table top to the ceiling, large picture frames 11x14 prints.

Second setup was 4.5 feet (tandem ish)

I only tested Standard and Active- results for "off" were the same as Standard.

The differences were not huge, but I would say significant. Something to consider if you are shooting in "active" mode.

It also might make sense that there might be a quality degradation with the cropped "active" setting since it similar to a digital zoom, or utilizing seemingly less of the sensor. Anybody have any info on that?

Link to the video- http://youtu.be/7143oE9ssQE

Hey folks. I bet this is one of those posts that not many people will ever really need to know about, but here it goes anyway!

One of my CX150's reset to factory defaults, and when getting it ready for this weekend I noticed the field of view (FOV) seemed zoomed in. I went back and reset all the custom settings I use, and found it reset to "active" steadyshot. When I changed it back to standard, the FOV seemed fine. I then had a face-palm moment when I realized that it made sense that the higher electronic stability control settings would have a tighter FOV. After all, if you "stabilize" the footage in Vegas (or even on youtube) you will know it pretty significantly zooms or crops in order to get the wiggle room to stabilize the image. You guys probably already realized this, but i am a little slow.

So I thought I'd test it out to see how significant the differences were, and I was happy to find I could change the settings while recording. The specs are in the video also, but the Cliff's notes-

Tested CX 150 with .55x century, Sony .8x, and no lens set full wide angle.
First setup was 11 feet away (4way distance give or take for me), room is 10 feet wide, 5 feet from the table top to the ceiling, large picture frames 11x14 prints.

Second setup was 4.5 feet (tandem ish)

I only tested Standard and Active- results for "off" were the same as Standard.

The differences were not huge, but I would say significant. Something to consider if you are shooting in "active" mode.

It also might make sense that there might be a quality degradation with the cropped "active" setting since it similar to a digital zoom, or utilizing seemingly less of the sensor. Anybody have any info on that?

Link to the video- http://youtu.be/7143oE9ssQE

It's about what I'd expect. Been a couple years since I've compared modes. But...whether using pre-stabilization or post-stabilization, the concept is similar, and the part of the process is to be zoomed in to allow tracking of edges.
Nice comparison, thanks for the update!