kallend

Inexpensive video editor recommendations?

for example, rendering a GoPro stream to a 24mbps output AVC would be counter productive in terms of both quality and time. higher bitrates don't mean better images, snd occasionally means lesser grade images due to the re-sample algorithm.
Render to 16mbps for most mp4, and you'll be ridiculously happy, and it won't cause every frame to be resampled.
I'd also use mp4 vs AVC if you're playing from computer and not BD.

In spite of having 5 or 6 other video editing software programs, I bought Sony Vegas Movie Studio as DSE recommended and that is all I use now. It's inexpensive with lots of capability, yet easy to use.

^^^ this^^^^

I switched my video production classroom over to Sony Vegas a few years ago. I couldn't be happier. Plus, the kids are teaching me new stuff everyday. ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

(my Adobe Premiere Version 6.5 is a bit long in the tooth and won't even load on my WIN7 PC).

And

I went to the Adobe web site to look at educator packages and even tried to purchase. However, their site REALLY doesn't like either Win 7 Pro, or Chrome, or both. If they can't make a simple order form work on a Windows PC I'm not sure I'm about to pay them a lot of money for their software.

Sounds to me that your PC might be in need of an upgrade as well. The better programs out there take a lot of hardware to work properly and efficiently.

I think you misread what I wrote, The Adobe ONLINE ORDER FORM won't run on my PC using Chrome under WIN7. How hard can it be to make an online order form work? Amazon does it, a myriad of really small retailers can manage it...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In spite of having 5 or 6 other video editing software programs, I bought Sony Vegas Movie Studio as DSE recommended and that is all I use now. It's inexpensive with lots of capability, yet easy to use.

^^^ this^^^^

I switched my video production classroom over to Sony Vegas a few years ago. I couldn't be happier. Plus, the kids are teaching me new stuff everyday. ;)

I downloaded the Sony Vegas free demo and played with it today. I ran the stabilize filter and then tried to render the video into a 720p movie. The only templates it would allow were the one that make Windows .avi files (couldn't make a .wmv for example), and the 1min 43sec video ended up at over 9Gigabytes.

Can I *ass*ume that the full version does not have this restriction? I couldn't find a description of what was left out of the demo version.

First, ALWAYS subclip the area to be stabilized.
If you're only using 10 seconds of a 20 minute clip...ouch.
Also, yes...the full version allows this.
There is a bit of a curve for stabilizing; it can be autotragic if you don't know what you're doing with it.
Happy to help you along the way.

First, ALWAYS subclip the area to be stabilized.
If you're only using 10 seconds of a 20 minute clip...ouch.
Also, yes...the full version allows this.
There is a bit of a curve for stabilizing; it can be autotragic if you don't know what you're doing with it.
Happy to help you along the way.

Well, I'm not so concerned about the stabilization, but turning a sub 2 minute clip from a GoPro into a 9+ Gigabyte file seems a bit silly.

It's only silly because you didn't RTFM (and probably ignored the prompts that come up when you create a stabilized file).

Like I said...it's not plug n' play (for any application). If you're new to video editing, either RTFM, follow the prompts, and/or view the embedded tutorial. Recompression causes a huge hit on quality, and the alternative to not doing it right is that the app makes your video look bad. Instead of concerns about file size, people would then be complaining about poor quality.

Adding stabilize at the subclip level (stabilizing only the portions you want stabilized) will prevent huge file generation.

It's only silly because you didn't RTFM (and probably ignored the prompts that come up when you create a stabilized file).

Like I said...it's not plug n' play (for any application). If you're new to video editing, either RTFM, follow the prompts, and/or view the embedded tutorial. Recompression causes a huge hit on quality, and the alternative to not doing it right is that the app makes your video look bad. Instead of concerns about file size, people would then be complaining about poor quality.

Adding stabilize at the subclip level (stabilizing only the portions you want stabilized) will prevent huge file generation.

Probably because its the demo version, but there were no prompts other than did I want to stabilize pan. Also the entire video was less than 2 minutes, taken from a GoPro mounted on a small drone, so there was jitter from the (cheap, non professional quality) gimbal and I wanted to see how well the stabilization worked on that.