Zymurdoo

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 SLD Aspherical DC Optical Stabilized (OS) Lens with Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

I searched for info on this particular lens without success.

Does anyone have experience with this lens in the skydiving realm? I am looking for Inner Focus and zoom as a replacement for my Canon 18-55 Kit lens.

I have had a lot of issues with the kit lenses in our dirty desert environment and am hoping that the inner focus will help.

Any suggestions (that won't break the bank)?

Link : http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-50mm-Aspherical-HSM-Canon/dp/B002330FJ8
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

For cheapo shooting (i.e. getting some extra stills of a 4way team you are filming) the kit lens works pretty well. It's light, cheap and works reasonably well, and you can mess with the zoom under canopy or in the plane.

If you want to move up I'd recommend a good prime lens like the Canon 15mm.

I prefer manual focus, and for that reason prefer the internal focus and zoom, as well as dig the benefit of a more weather and dust resistant lens. The lens looks plenty fast and the price is right, but at 13.9 ounces I'd have a hard time justifying the purchase.

I've been shooting with a rather heavy Tokina 17mm fixed lens for the last 8 years or so and really like the focal length. While the weight is not too bad over the last few years I've noticed how much happier I am when I shed a bit of weight off the helmet (no video or no stills). Every ounce counts. If you can keep the same quality of glass with less weight over the long term the extra financial cost is well worth it imho.

I was using the Kit Canon Kit lens 18-55. Worked great for years, was good enough to get a "Photo Finish" in Parachutist a couple years ago.

I just bought the Sigma 15 2.8. haven't jumped it yet but am pretty stoked. One question though. I had a UV filter on my Canon lens to protect the lens from scratches. Is there something like that for the Sigma?

thanx