BMFin

advice on exporting CX105 footage

Last weekend I shot tandems with a borrowed Sony CX105E.

The editing phase turned out to be more complicated than I thought. I wasnt quite sure which sequence presets I should choose in premiere. I guess I just dont know what Im doing...

I was shooting SD HQ and as I undestand it I should be choosing something like AVCHD 720x576 25i (am I right ?) Premiere CS4 wont let me choose this so I just go for the DV-PAL

When exporting the video, again I have lots of choises. My goal is to create a videofile aimed for viewing with a computer. At this point I think I need to render a progressive file, since not nearly all media players deinterlace footage as you play it. (am I right?) So I render a MPEG2 720x576 25p

The result looks ok, but its not really as smooth as I would have wanted. Im guessing this is because the CX105 footage is interlaced and converting it progressive makes it look a bit weird..

So couple questions:

1)what sequence presets do I choose?

2)what export settings should I choose ?

3)If my goal is to create progressive footage for computer viewing, would I be better of shooting with a camera that captures progressive ?

Thanks for any help!

you're selecting the correct template already, even though Premiere for NTSC does offer an MPEG SD rez....it's all the same, however.

Export:
MP4, 640 x 360 or 856 x 480, bitrate of 5-8Mbps.

As far as acquisition...using Mike Crash Deinterlacer, Alparysoft, or Boris all do very credible jobs of blending and interpolating.
Yes...if you can get a GOOD camera that shoots progressive vs interlaced, you'll have an easier go of it, but at the end of the day...this is an issue far overblown. It's quite easy to get great deinterlaced/progressive footage for computer viewing.
It should not look weird at all, unless you're using the wrong deinterlace settings. I can't recall if it's diff with CS4 vs 5, but I think they're the same.
If it's for viewing with a computer...I'd have shot HD in the first place so you're dealing with a higher source. It'll also deinterlace perfectly vs SD and res loss/Kell compensation.

Ok. thanks for the info. I think Im going to shoot HD from now on like you suggest.

Im suprised you advice exporting to MP4. I thought the easiest way would be to export to the same format as the source was ? (.mpg -> .mpg) This way there is less converting going on etc... Am I wrong ?

With the CS4 im actually not "deinterlacing" especially, Im simply just choosing 25 progressive from the customized export settings just before I execute the export task. Is there a special way to deinterlace the footage before exporting ?

Thanks..

Johnmatrix: I think the media encoder is slightly different with CS4.