Tink1717

Editing gig.

I can't believe this: I have a shot at an editing gig for a local show that airs on PBS. This just fell into my lap not an hour ago. I'm very excited that my teeny, tiny bit of skill with FCP was enough to impress the producer of this show. Who knew jump vids done 3-4 years ago could lead to this?

Anyway, now comes my serious question: The producer has asked me to give some rates for video editing. What can a rookie FCP editor get away with?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Normal hour rates are between $50 to $200 an hour. Depending on use of equipment (yours or theirs) etc etc. and additional cost (driving somewhere, stay) and credit.
Depending on personal skill, your rates could be anywhere between $1 and $5000....
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Do some quick research and find out what they're paying their guys.

PBS in Maryland (I assume) could mean DC or Baltimore area; is that correct?

My guess is it's going to be somewhere in the $20-40 per hour range. Entry level I'd expect to be on the lower end of that; maybe even a bit less. Almost certainly not as high as some other folks may have implied was possible.

But in any case do some research as to what locals are getting; not people in LA and NY.

Generally, houses that meet those submission requirements are able to charge a bit more for the service.

With the understanding that what a house charges for a room + editor is sometimes significantly higher than what they might pay the editor.

I have a client in Burbank that charges out the room + me in it for $600 per hour. I don't get paid 1/10th of that by them. This particular gig is monkey work so I don't mind what they pay me when I get booked, but it's kind of shocking to see what they're charging their clients for.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

While you are as correct as Jarno is, we're getting triple your referred scale in DC, for non-PBS work.
In Final Cut.
Avid commands about the same value these days, although an Avid editor used to be able to demand more.
However...you're right. Find out what the house pay is before getting too excited about the gig. Jarno and I work full-time in this industry, so it's quite likely we're coming from what we command vs what the rest of the world may be doing.

Show is produced in Baltimore and shown in MD/DC/NOVA.

I was thinking of charging what I would get at the DZ, roughly $65/hr. ( 1 1/2 jumps an hour)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Show is produced in Baltimore and shown in MD/DC/NOVA.

I was thinking of charging what I would get at the DZ, roughly $65/hr. ( 1 1/2 jumps an hour)

I think that's an ambitious figure for a guy with little to no experience in this type of editing. Further, my guess is that's nowhere near what they're paying. Local public broadcasting shows are not exactly known for having huge budgets.

However, as I said before, do some research as to what they're actually paying their guys.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver