aeronut

Contour GPS?

i bought a benny helmet for my first helmet thinking that i would get some other fancy dancy helmet after more jumps ... nope i still have my benny have two camera mounts on it and a skysystems cutaway

gps data still not too useful gonna try it with the wingsuit this weekend

People interested in the ContourGPS camera should first have a look at the following thread at the Contour support forums: http://support.contour.com/contour/topics/video_quality_of_the_contour_gps_disappointing

In summary, there is a severe problem with video quality, which seems to be affecting every single CountourGPS unit (the issue is not present in the classic Contour1080p model).

You may not have noticed unless you watched your footage on a large screen, or inspected it frame by frame, and it might be fine for low quality youtube clips, but it is unusable for any serious purpose. There are promises of a firmware fix, but users are losing patience, and getting very angry (especially since the Contour+ has been announced, while the previous "flagship" product still does not work as advertised).

As for the GPS functionality, in my experience it is not suitable for skydiving. I have never been able to get a clean log with it, either wingsuiting or doing anything else. It's been either lacking altimetric data entirely or in chunks, the track was shifted on the ground, and the GPS antenna is not particularly sensitive inside a plane. Do yourself a favor, get a Flysight instead, with a classic Contour1080 or GoPro HD.